Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
onthe_road_again
My Device: 9800

unlocked Torch cannot upgrade software

Hi

I got myself a Torch for Xmas.

It was on Rogers, so I unlocked it, and now I have it on Fido just as a dumb phone.

I mostly use the smarts on wifi.

BUT, I cannot upgrade the software on it.

Can't I download the updates onto my PC and transfer the software to the device?

For example, I want to download Weather channel App, but it won't let me because the OS is out of date.

What to do?
Trash the torch and get an iPad?

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: unlocked Torch cannot upgrade software

Yes, trash the torch and get an iPad.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

What version of the OS is on the 9800? If I recall, it came out with OS 6.0 and OS 7.0 was never made compatible with it. It's limited to 6.0. You may be able to update the 6.0 version but since you have provided no details of what OS is on your 9800 and what OS the Weather Channel app wants I can't really tell you for sure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Super Contributor
allaineem
My Device: z10

try this. 

1. Go to google on the field type in ( blackberry software update ( name of your carrier ) ) for the carrier name check first FIDO. if there is no available software update on the fido website try getting it from ROGERS.

2. download the device software

3. install it on your computer.

4. once installed plug your device into the computer ( without the battery)

5. go to Computer / C driver / program files ( x86 ) / Common files / research in motion / app loader / LOADER

6. click on LOADER and follow the prompt.

7. it will take time to recognize your PIN or device. Just continue clicking NEXT until it push through.

8.after that it will prompt you in selecting your language then a page with " finish or close " will appear just click either of them for the process to proceed.

9. a loading bar will show up. When you receive an error message that says something like " cannot detect device "

that is the time for step 10.

10. put the battery back
and click on "Retry"

11. it will take time but keep on retrying untill the process proceed.

12.once all the loading is done you may either receive " a fatal error occured or software update success"

dont worry about the fatal error it says that but your device should be booting up.

If the software reload will not resolve the proble then its hardware.

Let me know if this help.
Guru I
John_Clark

allaineem wrote:

try this. 

1. Go to google on the field type in ( blackberry software update ( name of your carrier ) ) for the carrier name check first FIDO. if there is no available software update on the fido website try getting it from ROGERS.

2. download the device software

3. install it on your computer.

4. once installed plug your device into the computer ( without the battery)

5. go to Computer / C driver / program files ( x86 ) / Common files / research in motion / app loader / LOADER

6. click on LOADER and follow the prompt.

7. it will take time to recognize your PIN or device. Just continue clicking NEXT until it push through.

8.after that it will prompt you in selecting your language then a page with " finish or close " will appear just click either of them for the process to proceed.

9. a loading bar will show up. When you receive an error message that says something like " cannot detect device "

that is the time for step 10.

10. put the battery back
and click on "Retry"

11. it will take time but keep on retrying untill the process proceed.

12.once all the loading is done you may either receive " a fatal error occured or software update success"

dont worry about the fatal error it says that but your device should be booting up.

If the software reload will not resolve the proble then its hardware.

Great instructions except that we don't have all the info needed. There may not even be an update available and you'll have him searching all over for something that may not exist.  

Super Contributor
allaineem
My Device: z10

Updated software or same software will work. Just looking for possible fix.

Let me know if this help.
Guru I
John_Clark

Possible fix for what? The OP doesn't have a problem with the device other than they want newer software. Please read the post.
New Contributor
onthe_road_again

In APPWORLD, after I download the weather app, I get this message:

You need the latest version of BlackBerry World installed on your smartphone to continue.
New Contributor
onthe_road_again

OS6 bundle 2921
Guru I
John_Clark

What is the v number in Options >About.

My guess is it wants v7.0 and it was never available for the 9800. They released the 9810 to take its place.