Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: Not Specified

web browser freezing

Managed to freeze my browser on the second day of my new phone. Had to pull the bettery to reboot. Then today it froze and got this message when I rebooted:

Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_browser_daemon(318) is not responding: process terminated.
Solutions: 6,071
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: web browser freezing

With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot.

If this continues, please do post back.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

Ok thanks. Too bad this is the solution. I dumped my pearl because I was more and more frequently yanking out the battery. Msaybe it will get fixed in an update, tho.
Solutions: 6,071
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I haven't seen the 9800 having constant reboots.

By any chance, did you move a media card from your old BlackBerry over to this one?

if so, read this:

Read this on how fix the Media Card (courtesy of John Clark, another expert here in the Forum):

1. Removed the Media Card from the device and put in a card reader. This makes the rest of the process much quicker. However, you can do it with the card in the device.

2. Copy the entire contents of the card to your PC.

3. Put the card back in the device and go to Options >Media Card >Menu key >Format Card. This will wipe the card and reformat it. (if using a card reader remove the card and put it back in the reader.)

4. Now copy back JUST the media to the device. Do NOT copy back any "BBthumbs.dat" files or any system files. I went through the entire folder and deleted every .dat file before copying the contents of the music folder and pictures folders back to the device. The device will recreate these files. Also, I didn't copy the actual "music" folder but rather just copied the contents and pasted in the card's \Blackberry\music folder. Do this for each folder.

5. When finished put the card back in the device and try the Media App again. It should scan for music. If you have lots of music it can take 5-10 minutes. During scanning you can open the Music app and you should be able to see the songs moving around in the list as the device scans

If after transferring all your files back you still get a stuck scanning bar or device reboots then you have a conflicting file on the card. I've seen video files do this but it could be a music file too or (less likely) a picture file. Remove all the files you transferred and see if the reboots stop. Then add back each folder one at a time to see if you can narrow down to the folder that's causing it. Once you find the folder then you can narrow down to a particular file.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

I've had the same problem about once a week since I got my phone in November. It's annoying to have to pull the battery out. I did the soft reboot (ALT+Shift+Delete) that another similar post reply suggested. That seems to have worked. Is there any idea what might be causing it to freeze that often?

New Contributor
My Device: Torch

This is happening to me to, contstantly. The browser works for a few uses, then completely freezes up. The other apps work fine, but this requires me to a) remove the case b) remove the battery and c) wait for it to boot from a hard reset. several times a day is too frequent, and I'm wondering what has happened since I haven't upgraded the software recently enough for it to matter for the problem.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

[ Edited ]

It's no fun having to remove the battery just to keep the phone working but unfortunately, since a smartphone is more computer than it is phone, this is the reality.

I suggest that everyone go to AppWorld and do a search for apps that simulate a battery pull (you'll find most of them under Utilities>Utilities).

I use one called QuickPull from Steelthorn Software and it works just fine.  A couple times every week, I reset my device simply by opening the app and pressing a button.  Whether you use such an app or do a manual battery pull, it's a good idea to do so every so often to keep your phone running smoothly.

(Oh, I forgot to mention, QuickPull is free!)

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

It is totally unacceptable that RIM have released a product with a fault this fundamental.

The browser freezing is being reported all over the Internet and is clearly a systemic problem with the Torch that RIM has not addressed.

This is a high-end and expensive consumer device, designed to compete on a level field with the best Android smartphones and the iPhone and as far as I am concerned this makes it worse than my old Bold, which at least had a functioning browser.

I don't know whether RIM read these Boards, but I'd love to see them address this issue with a patch and an apology!

My Device: 9800 torch

I am now on my 3rd Torch from Orange, within 6 weeks, and still have this same problem. With this one, I deliberately didn't load the email settings, and it was all ok for about a week. Loaded email on, then it started freezing the browser again within a few days after that. Any link with that, or just a coincidence?

Very very diappointing, and I am going to try and convince them to replace it with an iphone.

http://www.sellyourcarforcash.co.uk