Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Adding Email - Update Failed Error

Hello - I have found several threads related to this issue, yet none offer a solution.  I had deleted my primary email as I was having issues synching contacts and when I try to add email back I get UPDATE FAILED ERRO. 

I have removed battery, rebooted, changed password of the email account and to no avail.  I need to get this email back on my bb and I need a solution please, anyone been able to resolved this successfully?

My Device: Tour

Re: Adding Email - Update Failed Error

[ Edited ]

Mine was doing the exact same thing!  I had to change my password and when I attempted to update it on my device, it wouldn't work, so I deleted the e-mail.  When I attempted to add the e-mail again, I got the same "Update Failed" error.

Does your password contain characters that have to be accessed via the "sym" key rather than the actual keyboard? The first time I changed my password, I used an "&" (entered into the field using the "sym" key) and it wasn't working for me when I tried to set-up the email.  The only fix I found was when I changed my e-mail password again to contain only letters, numbers and symbols attainable by pressing the Shift key and a physical button on the keypad (I switched to a "?" instead).  

Perhaps there's a bug in the software?  Maybe this will help...

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

comfysweats - thanks for your reply!

Yes I did try that I figured the simpler the better but to no avail =(

My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

I wanted to verify that the issue is passwords containing symbols that have to be accessed via the SYM button. I had the same issue with 2 email accounts that had previously worked. I changed the passwords for both to not include any of the problem symbols and life is good for both now. One was Gmail and the other my work Exchange 2010 account.

Thank you for solving what had been a pretty stupid error for me. We need to get the word out to RIM to see if they can solve this one for us.
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

I am getting the same error. IK wonder if you ever fixed it.