Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
redtopia
My Device: Not Specified

Auto expand in contacts list - can I turn it off?

Is there a way to turn off auto-expand in the contacts list - in the mode when you type in someones name from the desktop? It doesn't always happen... you have to get to that mode by typing someone's name from the desktop (not by going to contacts first).

If you start typing from the desktop, you are presented with a subset of contacts that match what you're typing. So if I'm looking for a friend named Marie, and I have 5 contacts that start with "Marie", and 5 that start with "Mary" and I type in "mar" I'll get a list of 10 results

Here's the problem...

Using the trackball to scroll-select through the result list, the current contact item instantly expands revealing phone numbers and email address. Seems like an intuitive feature? IT ISN'T! It's hard to use because expanding an item as you scroll pushes everything below it down and it becomes hard to navigate through the list because the list is always changing. If there were a slight delay on the auto expand, it would be better. But if you could turn it off completely, that would be the best!!!!

End result of this feature... I have made an incorrect selections and called the wrong person on a few occasions. And it is simply annoying and difficult to scroll through the list.

I would love to turn this feature off. And if that's not possible, how do I make a feature request with RIM?

Thanks in advance!!!

-JP

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Auto expand in contacts list - can I turn it off?

I don't know how you would turn that off.

bbsuggestions@rim.com

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
redtopia

I know, right! Can you replicate that auto-expand functionality and verify that it might be more difficult to navigate the list with that feature on? Why does it only happen when you get to the list via the desktop? If go to contacts and type-select, the auto-expand behavior does not happen.

Thanks!

-JP

maartenvr

It has to be possible. I turned this off accidentally, but do not know how, and now I am looking for how to turn it back on....! Let me know if you found the solution.
New Contributor
redtopia

Are you sure you it's not happening when you get to the contact list via the desktop by typing? This is the only time it happens. If you go directly to the contacts list from the contacts application, it doesn't happen.
Regular Contributor
raybo123
My Device: BB Tour 9630 / Sprint

this is the most annoying feature of the bb so far as i can see. please stop it RIM>>???
Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote! - - Benjamin Franklin