Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
TourGuide15
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

BB Tour GPS isn't very accurate

Hi. I've only had my Tour for a few weeks and I've been playing around with the GPS but it isn't very accurate. I have Google Maps and the location I get is often off by a few miles. I also have a few apps that try to lock on to my location but can never actually lock on. I have enabled GPS on the phone so that's not the problem. Is there anyway to fix this or to calibrate the GPS so that the apps and google maps work and are more accurate in pinpointing my location?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you much.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Foulwx
My Device: Tour 9630 5.0.0.484

Re: BB Tour GPS isn't very accurate

I'm pretty new to the Tour and Blackberries in general, but I found the same problem with Google Maps.  I don't think it works very well with that program - I'm sure there are some threads around on the topic.  I've found that BB Maps, and Sprint's Navigator program are spot on.  Try one of those.
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,951
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

It is a common misconception that your Google Maps is way off...when what you are doing is "locating" yourself via the cell tower triangulation, not GPS.

Google Maps uses the cell tower fixing by default (even on devices without GPS enabled). You will see a broad wide light blue circle to indicate the cell tower range you are within.

When GPS is fixed on you, you will see a sold blue dot, to indicate your exact position, usually within 3-10 meters

So, on your Tour, do this:

First, go to Options > Advanced > GPS. There, make certain that GPS Services = Location On, and Location Aiding = Enabled.

On all model BlackBerrys, first make certain that you in an area of good signal coverage AND outside with a clear view of the sky in an open area of no tall buildings.

On your CDMA xx30 model BlackBerry, do this:
Go to the Options icon > Status
From the Status screen, on the keyboard type "test" (without the quote marks!).
You will see a Device Self Test Screen. Click the Menu Key and choose Start. You will a list of tests. The bottom test should be GPS, check it and click Menu > Run. Be sure GPS location is turned on. Go outside with no obstructions or tall buildings around or above you. click the trackball and click start fixing. is should do a test. let it do its thing and it should tell you a location coordinates.

Message Edited by JSanders on 09-28-2009 03:21 PM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TourGuide15

Thank you very much for the fast reply. That makes a lot more sense now.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GroundLoop
My Device: Tour

I can confirm that with those settings, Google Maps is very accurate.  Sometimes freakishly accurate.  Very nice.

And on a Verizon Tour, even.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
TourGuide15

Great. The test seemed to work and now it does work freakishly accurate. Thanks everyone.
Please use plain text.
JSanders

You are very welcome.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Developer
littleazn248

this is kind of off topic but my bb maps doesnt work at all it just says searching satelite
Please use plain text.
JSanders

Not really so off-topic-- do you have a 9630 also?

Have you followed the procedure outline above?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Lawman

JSanders,

Thank you for your post.  I also have an issue with my GPS on my Tour through Verizon Wireless.  It works for a while after a soft reboot, but stops working shortly after.  This occurs both when using Blackberry's Map program as well as Google Maps. 

I followed your instructions above, and I got a "timed out while waiting for GPS " error after the self-test.

Any ideas on what my issue might be?  If the GPS never worked I would assume I had a faulty Tour.  But since it seems to work sometimes, I tend to think there might be a software conflict somewhere.

Please use plain text.