Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

Blackberry Theme Studio

For anyone interested in making their own themes for the Blackberry's, there is a free download at this site

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/developers/themes/devtools.jsp

I just got it today so I have not had time yet to look at it. Hopefully, someone here will be able to try it out also so we can get various reviews.

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry 9000 Bold I

Re: Blackberry Theme Studio

Hey, thanks for the link. but I do have some question concerning the Blackberry Theme Studio, which I couldn't find answers for. I confess, my english is not the best since I'm from Austria and I do have some difficulty navigating this forum. I did find a topic where a lot of questions concerning the BTS have are being answerd but not those I have which is a shame since it indicates i'm obviously too stupid. I'm very eager to create my own themes and perhaps even one day see them in the Blackberry Apps Store, but I fail at the very start of it all. First off: Do I have to be a developer to be allowed to use this software or can i download and use it as well for private purpose only(like only creating themes for me). I looked at the form one has to fill out in order to dwonload the software, but since there's being asked about my job title and company I thought it's not free for private use. The second question is: I've been told that during the installation of BTS there will be an http-server or host or something installed or created as well using the persons pc as a host. Is that true and if yes - what for and how exactly does that work. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks Séth
Regular Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

I had totally forgotten about this program until I saw your note. As I recall, you do not have to fill in the part about a company or job title. In the description for the program, it says it can be used by "hobbiests" which would mean anyone. So, you do not have to be a developer. I don't remember the part about a computer being used as a host.  I would not have too much concern about the program since it is from an official blackberry / RIM site. Give it a try.

Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630 OS 4.7.1
My Carrier: Verizon

I've been using it to create my own themes.  I can't remember if I had to specify a company name, title, etc. but if I did.... I just simply made something up. 

I also vaguely remember something about configuring the program / pc as a host which I chose not to do.

The version I'm running right now is 5.0.  Thus far, I've only used it to change the home and lock displays on my Tour.  The program gives you the ability to customize your BB as you see fit, but there are instances where you want to change something and it's not as intuitive as some would like.

My experience has been that .png files render excellent images on the display as long as one takes the time necessary to reduce an original image into a high quality image with the proper screen resolution supported by the BB Tour.  To do so, I use Adobe Photoshop.

Regardless, any such issues can be resolved "if" one has the patience and desire to make the required changes, and take the time necessary to "fully" learn the program. 

I've been in the computer industry since the time of "punched cards" until now at age 52.

I no longer have the disire to spend hours on end to learn each and every facet of a program such that I can make each and every icon on a Blackberry appear as I would like to see it.

Yes I'm one of those ppl that fired up a pc when most others were just laying down to go to sleep.

My "EX" once said... "You love you computer more than you love me."  My answer was....  "Yeah, you're right b/c my computer does what I tell it to do and doesn't talk back!"

Theme Studio is a good program, only if you're willing to put the time and effort into learning every aspect of the program that will allow you to customize your BB as you see fit.

Like the previous poster stated....  Give it a try. 

Only you can decide what's right for you.