Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus
Accepted Solution

Browser broken?

When clicking the '...' the web browser's menu no longer pops up. When I click bookmarks nothing happens and when I try to do a search via the address bar or type in a url the browser wont go anywhere. What's happening?
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10-STL100-4
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Browser broken?

Did you pull the battery and reboot? If not, pull battery wait 3 minutes. Reinstall battery.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.
Developer

Did the battery pull, no luck.

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30/Z10/Q10 (10.3.1.2744), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

First (and, sorry, obvious) question is -- what changed just before this behavior started?

Otherwise, here are some troubleshooting tips/techniques that could be attempted...

Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Your OS may have become corrupted...and a clean OS reload may be needed.

Those are the first things that come to mind to attempt...good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks sd! Going to give these a shot tomorrow.  Will post my results. don't remember when exactly it started. One day I just noticed the menu was no longer accessible. 

Developer

Nothing worked so I ended up doing a security wipe and the context menu is working again. 

Hall of Famer II

Yup...that would have been the next thing to suggest. I'm glad you got it resolved! Cheers!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Developer

[ Edited ]

Did a restore after the wipe and problem is back. Btw I think I posted this in the wrong forum I have a Z10.

Hall of Famer II

Ah yes, that indeed makes a very important difference, for most of what I've recommended does not apply to BB10 since it is so different. I did not intuit you having a Z10 since your forum profile says "Tour 9630" for your device.

No worry...but rather than moving this to the Z10 area (since it contains so much that is not applicable), please instead mark this thread as solved and start a new thread over in the proper Z10 area.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Developer
My Device: blackberry bold 9900 ( I am a blackberry application developer)
My Carrier: Vodafone India