Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
Jordan84
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Can you unlock youre BELL mobility phone to be used on any network?

I contacted bell mobility asked for my unlock code to unlock the Blackberry tour 9630. They gave it to me but I am still unable to unlock the phone and im dont to 5 more tries how can I unlock my phone can someone help me?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Can you unlock youre BELL mobility phone to be used on any network?

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

STOP NOW!!!

If you fail 10 times, your BB will be forever locked to Bell Mobility and will require significant action (not by you...it'll have to be sent somewhere) to get it unlocked.

Call them back and make them walk you through it -- that way, you will have them on the hook if it goes wrong, and then they will have to provide you a remedy. If you try yourself and it goes wrong, they may give you a fight concerning the remedy.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jordan84

I just got off the phone with bell mobility again. They gave me the same 6 digit code again they said its the master reset code but, I wont  be able to unlock the phone due to bell being on a cdma network, i thought the blackberry tour 9630 was a world phone I live in vancouver but i go down to the states quite a bit I just want it unlocked so I can use it on any network.  So does anyone know how to talk to the phone provider and get this sorted out cause Bell tells me they wont unlock the phone it belongs to their network I bought this phone outright so its my phone I just want it locked to bell, I want to be able to transfer it over to rogers or any other company freely can anyone help me thanks.
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Interesting...they have given you two somewhat contradictory answers...

1) It cannot be unlocked since it's on a CDMA network (not accurate, btw)

2) They won't unlock it since they want to keep it on their network (a policy rather than a technology issue)

In both cases, I find myself wondering why on earth would they bother to give you the code?

So, have you challenged them based on this contradiction? BTW -- if they stick by number 2, then your "free" unlock option will not exist and you'll have to pay to get it done.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
zolutar
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

Bell LIED to you! (love our consumer protection laws :smileytongue:)

they lied to me too, what they gave you was the main unlock code to activate the phone, NOT the UNLOCK code to free your SIM card slot.

You will have to goto a 3rd party to buy the code, as Bell under no circumstances ever will be like Sprint or Verizon, who will unlock the sim card slot under special circumstances. Do a search, theres a few sources out there, and if you look hard enough you'll find the crack you crave at the right price :smileyhappy:

and yes, if you fail 10 times, you are royally pooched to ever unlock it.

I travel the USA and Canada with work and its nice now to have everything goin one phone with both of my providers, Bell and AT&T and switch with the same phone depending which country I am in.

I personally have no problem and understand why Bell would lock their phone to stop you from going to Rogers/Fido, but to insist that they rape you with their rates for the USA, thats a problem, and to refuse to unlock the Sim card even if you go overseas I dont understand.

Message Edited by zolutar on 08-20-2009 09:40 AM
Please use plain text.
new2dascene

I was just browsing the web and i came across this post so i joined the community just to clarify things, first off the blackberry tour can be unlocked to work on other GSM networks and HSPA networks, unfortunately even though it is CDMA as well in order to register it to a seperate provider such as TELUS they would have to add it to their inventory switch list and it is quite complicated and a lengthy process one of which hardly ever gets done. Second when you called BELL and asked for the "unlock code", they gave you just that the "unlock code/master reset" which is not the same as the MEP2 code. Difference is when a phone is on CDMA it requires an unlock code in order to go into the semi-lock options, whihc would then allow you to program your own phone in order to change your number and minor frequency changes. Unfortunately this number is useless, since in order to do an ESN change you would have to do the change through bell systems first and then use th eunlock code for the esn change, a process where GSM phones have us beat since all they do is swap sim cards.

Now the MEP2 code which they will not provide you with since most of the operators are idiots or dont have access to the systems, is a code linked to the serial number issued by blackberry, which once entered into the system you can remove the software lock on provider.

So basically after all that run around the "unlock code" is to do esn changes and basic programming, and the MEP2 code is what you would need to unlock the provider lock.

Please use plain text.