Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
brinky

Constant reload software 552 errors

I am on my second Verizon 9630 in 2 weeks.  I get contstand 552 error when downloading software from app world.  So did I get 2 bad 9630's or is the the 4.7 software just plain awful.

I am tired of reloading the software and all of my apps every other day.  What can I do to make this stop?  I just need a phone that will actually work for more then 2 days without crashing.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bobchernow

Re: Constant reload software 552 errors

Brinky, I just want to say you are not alone. Here is a copy of my recent post on the BlackberryForums. Sound familiar.

I need some help, or at least some explanations.
Every so often, more often than I like, I will load some new application and boot to an error 552 with no boot. Some times I have managed to use BBSAK to remove the application and recover. Most times it goes downhill from there.

1) Are there any precautions to avoid these errors?

When all fails, I have to resort to performing the following.
- Wipe the device
- Reload the OS
- Reload all of my 3rd Party Applications
- Restore my data

This works some of the time but occasionally takes a couple of tries. With the loooong Tour reboots, it takes up to two hours to fully restore. Then comes the frustrating part. Even with all the data restored, allmost all of my 3rd party apps require me to re-enter the registration codes, etc. Many times I also have to reset the options. WHY? Isn't this data stored? Why does the data restore not restore the registration codes?

What am I doing wrong. I am now afraid to load any new software cause as much as I love to try new apps, I am tired of bricking my Tour.

Help!!!

This is driving me crazy. I have learned alot on how to recover from these forums, and thank goodness to BBSAK for saving my butt.

Bob

What a long strange trip it's been.

bobchernow

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brinky

The worst part is that once I get a out of memory error when installing an app, which is usually the first sign of an upcoming 522 error, but I am lucky enough that I can reboot without issue. I can not install anything else on my tour.  Every app will give an out of memory error.  Not sure how to fix that without reloading the software again.  It would be nice if RIM would actually address this issue.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dharding

Welcome to the club.  What I did was remove the last app (Via BBSAK) which I believe caused this, ZonaSnap!  After I did this, my Tour booted fine with no 552 error.
Please use plain text.
Visitor
MAGugs

Bob,

I'm  having the same problems, and do the same procedure you are doing. I to hate that I need to manually register apps after restoring my data. I run the memory cleaner before I download and install any app, but when I get less then 90MB free It's just a matter of time before 552 pops up. 

My Tour currently has 71.7MB free, but QuickPull hasn't worked in over a week. I plan on going to my local Verizon store tomorrow after I do a backup, and do a battery pull in front of them and see what will happen.  I am on my second tour, Took it in for above issue but tech noticed the trackball issue and said I needed a new (refurb) phone. My iPod Touch is maxed out on apps and I've only had one issue with an OS upgrade that needed me to do a restore and all my apps came back to the state they were before the crash, nothing needed to be reactivated.

Michael

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jkurl

Mike,

I experienced the same thing you did w/ Quickpull.  Mine would work and then all of a sudden it wouldn't.  I got the 552 error and Verizon said to send it back and get a new one.  There was nothing they could do.  You might want to delete Quickpull and reinstall it. 

Jerry

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bobchernow

I have now been free of 552 errors for at least a month or more. I feel like a new person. The only true fix was to install a leaked version of 5.0.0.230. Sorry that is the only thing that gave me back my blackberry. I now download software with NO fears.

Bob

Please use plain text.
Contributor
handlez36

I just got over this exact same situation by wiping and reloading my OS and apps for the second time.  I agree, this is too consistent of an issue for RIM not to be actively addressing.  If they are addressing it (i.e., official OS 5.0 release for the Tour maybe), then it would be fantastic to provide a date when that update would be available so we wouldn't have to go through this over and over again.

I really love my Tour, but having two hours of my life wasted on wiping and reloading the OS due to seemingly random application installation problems makes me extremely cautious with downloading apps (which is one significant reason I really wanted a smartphone).

If anyone from RIM is combing over these forums, any news on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Please use plain text.
mpilk

I am having the same issue.  I honestly have no idea what app could have caused this but for the last two months ANY time my phone restarts, whether its installing an app or if my phone dies EVERYTHING gets wiped off.  It's so annoying having to back up my phone on a daily basis along with the longggg process of deleting everything off my phone and backing it up again.  It's absolutely ridiculous.  I called Verizon and all they said is that they could send me another tour which did not solve the problem at all..

Please use plain text.
mastaskillz33
My Carrier: verizon

BBSAK saved me. I've had this happen 3 times now. The OS should NOT crash when bad software is installed. To me it's clearly an os issue. Hopefully RIM is working on this.

Please use plain text.