Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9650
My Carrier: verizon

Re: Custom Ring Tones override Silent volume setting: desperately need help

This is actually not a problem, its a great thing.  When you set someone's ring tone, you have an option of setting it to active profile, or choose a volume.  your active profile is whatever your ringer is set to.  SO if you set "Dave" to have a specific ringtone, at active profile, it will ring with that ring tone, according to whatever your ringer is set to.

If you set a specific ring tone for Dave, and chose volume 7, this means that even if your ringer is set to silent or loud, or vibrate, dave's calls will ring at volume 7, unless you choose, "all alerts off", which is diffeent from silent,.

Why is this great?  If you are going to sleep, and do no want to be disturbed, but are expecting one imporant call, you can set your phone so that even if your ringer is off, only "Dave" can still reach you.

I'm due for a new phone in a month and the only reason im considering sticking with blackberry is because i THINk BB is the only one that has this option.  If someone knows another phone that does this, please let me know.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: ATT

I don't recall having this problem before my most recent update, but it seems like all of a sudden my custom ring tones come through.  If I wanted a particular person to not apply to the active profile, i would set it accordingly.  But when it's set to active profile and that is silent or vibrate, it should respond accordingly.

This cannot be the way it is supposed to work.  I'm in a meeting this morning and all of a sudden my wife's ringtone comes through loud and clear.  It was never like this before, maybe my last update screwed something up.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8310
My Carrier: ATT

OK, i remember how to fix it.  I just replaced my phone so it was a while since i had last set up a custom ringtone.  When i added the custom tone for my wife's profile, instead of setting volume to "active profile" like i did with everything else, i had it on 8 and that was overriding everything.  Once i changed it to active profile, everything was all good!