Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
aalfonso
My Device: Tour 9630

Exploding D-X1 battery in BlackBerry Tour

Has anyone had a problem with their battery "exploding'? My battery has developed a cancerous lump and no longer functions. Buying a replacement battery got my phone working again. I only used the approved RIM charger and battery that came with the phone.  I have some concerns:

1. Batteries are designed to last at least 2-3 years. My battery is just over one year old. Because I have used my phone for over a year, my warranty expired and so my carrier was unable to replace the battery for free. Is there anything RIM can do to help with this cost? I do not think it's fair for customers to absorb the cost when it appears to be a RIM problem.

2. Is there a hardware problem with the tour in that there is no circuit protection to protect the battery from overcharging? I suspect the battery "exploded" because it received too much charge. Properly designed circuits can protect against this.

3. Is there a problem with the batteries? The explosion appears contained within the battery casing but could there potentially be a safety issue?

Is there a RIM engineer that can respond to this incident?

Sincerely,

Allan

New Developer
redhalo79
My Device: Blackberry 9550

Re: Exploding D-X1 battery in BlackBerry Tour

wow. never had that problem i had was the battery sticker would come unglued somehow my device suffered from overheating i suppose this was cause
New Contributor
adawgs3
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630

Yup, same issue here. I didn't realize that the issue was with my battery until I recently took it out and examined how "fat" it got. My wife has the same exact phone that we purchased at the same time, so I examined her battery and it is super flat compared to mine. I switched batteries to see if it was really the battery or something internal and when I used her battery in my phone it worked fine. Apparently when the battery bulges like that, it's battery life progressively gets shorter and shorter. I would suggest buying a new battery from Amazon for $6 w/ shipping.

New Contributor
adawgs3

I'm thinking my issue was caused by extreme temperatures (e.g. going from a hot car in the summer heat to a refrigerated air building).
New Contributor
aalfonso

In my case, the person at the store mentioned that my battery 'exploded' because I was charging my battery overnight. The battery may have received too much charge. This sounds strange to me since I've charged many batteries overnight with other phones and never seen this problem.

Can we contact RIM about the issue? All I found was this forum. 

Is there a regulatory body that we can raise this issue? From what I read in the replys, I don't think there was any inappropriate care taken by anyone and the battery should not be exploding. This issue doesn't appear safe.

New Contributor
adawgs3

I highly doubt that your exploding battery was caused by charging the battery overnight. My wife has charged her battery overnight the same as I do for the last 2 years and her battery is fine. Plus, the phone controls for excessive charge by shutting off output once it's full. Sounds like the salesperson was looking for a scapegoat answer to quiet your concern.

I was reading a few Crackberry.com inquiries about this issue and it appears to be a mildly frequent event with BB 9630 and the DX1. I'm sure you'd be able to contact RIM and get some sort of response since it probably isn't the first time they've heard of it. I'm pretty sure they'll respond with "batteries are mass produced and we cannot control for a 100% success rate, though we implement quality control measures"....
bdunster
My Device: Blackberry storm 9530

I am having the same issue with my battery in my storm.  The battery started to "grow" a lump and i hadn't noticed it until it began to affect the use of the screen.  Because the battery has expanded so much, it has actually made it so that it is impossible to work the touch screen due to the pressure from within the phone.

I am just glad that i found the problem prior to the battery exploding and potentially ruining my phone permanently.

brucemwamba
My Device: Curve - 8900

Hi Allan,

I have similar problem with my phone. The Battery is draining so fast that I have to charge it almost after every call.

I want to know where you got the new one. Its like there is no distributor for blackberry accessories where I am.

Bruce 

New Contributor
aalfonso

I got a replacement battery from a cell phone store in the city. Alternatively, I've seen batteries for sale on Amazon.com. I got my battery awhile back and I don't know if many stores keep any stock as my phone is old. This experiece is one reason Blackberry has lost me as a customer and I have since switched phones.