Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
My Device: BB Q10 OS 10.1.0.4189
My Carrier: Verizon

Hooking up to USB causes computer to crash

When I hook up my 9630 to my work computer, it crashes the computer to a blue screen with, among other things, the statement "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".  It doesn't happen all the time but seems to be happening with greater frequency.  I tried upgrading to desktop manager 6 but that hasn't helped.  My computer OS is Windows XP.  When I restart the computer and leave the 9630 plugged into the USB cable, everything works ok.

I also sync via USB to my laptop running XP and it has NEVER crashed, so I'm guessing it must be something with my desktop computer.  Any ideas?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Hooking up to USB causes computer to crash

Hiya!
Yes this is definately a computer issue, the only thing off the top of my head I can think that MAY help, is re-installing your device Drivers on the computer.
https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22

on that site, select the USB/Modem drivers from the drop-down and then install them.

Lemme know!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Contributor

Thank you Raelic.  Your idea was also the only one I could come up with  and I'd tried it previously, but gave it another shot and it didn't help.  Oh well.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook , HS-700 headset
My Carrier: Rogers

Sorry my friend, hopefully someone else has another idea, but it definately seems to be computer related....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1). Please thank those who help you by clicking the Like Button beside the 'Reply' button.
2). If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking "Accept as Solution" on the correct post!
3). Remember to have fun! We are all in this together!
4). Follow me on Follow Raelic1337 on Twitter

Forums Advisor III
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700
My Carrier: BELL

[ Edited ]

I once had this type of problem on an older computer with a Blackberry phone. Below is what I did to fix it. I found with the newer phones there are sometimes issues when connected to older computers, and also with older operating systems.

Un-install the phone drivers using the hardware options in My Computer.

Un-install the desktop manager using Add-Remove Programs in the Control Panel. This will  make for a clean un-install.

After the un-install re-start the computer.

Go to the Blackberry site, retrieve a new copy of the the latest version of the desktop manager, and re-install.The Desktop manager will come with a new set of drivers.

Make sure the interconnect cable between the phone and the computer is an original Blackberry cable, or a proven equivalent. I have had clone cables give me problems with these phones.

After the new installation, run the desktop manager before connecting the phone. Once it has started and has registered itself, then connect the phone.

Another addition to have stability is to use a powered USB hub between the phone and the computer's USB port. I found the Linksys and the StarTech USB hubs to work very well. This offers electrical and data isolation between the computer and the phone. Inside the powered up there is a bi-directional digital repeater chip (digital buffer amplifier chip). The power to the phone is applied from the external power supply of the hub rather than from the port on the computer.

I would be curious to know if this all works out for you. If it still does not work, there could be an issue with the operating system, or with the USB controler in the computer.

Jerry G.

Jerry G.
Contributor

Thank you Jerry.  I plan to try this as soon as I get some time and will post back on the results