Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
Kznailz
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Hotmail sync for contacts and calendar

Forgive me all, but I'm a new BB user and just can't get this darned thing set up ... believe it or not its keeping me up at night.

I'm using Windows XP / hotmail with outlook 2003 and outlook connector.  When I try and set up my outlook to sync with my BB (using the desktop manager) I get all the way to the end, then get the error message "Folder is no longer part of the system data source or the folder could not be found".

I know others have had this issue, but the resolution can't be to export my outlook every day to yahoo so I can keep current.  There has to be a better way.  Please help.

kznailz

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Hotmail sync for contacts and calendar

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Believe it or not, there is a KB specifically for that error message!

• KB15812 Runtime error - folder is no longer part of system data source or data could not be found

Hopefully it will contain (or lead to) what you need!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Kznailz

I'm not sure that applies when you are using hotmail - I thought for me to be able to access my emails and calendars they had to be in my account@hotmail.com

Didn't think it could be in a .pst file.

Please don't hesitate to set me straight

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ummmm...ok...confusion here...Hotmail...synching email via desktop PIM...contra-indicated....

BB's have a wonderful service called BIS -- BlackBerry Internet Service, hosted by your carrier, that will sync your email OTA between HotMail and your BB...no need for the desktop PIM to be involved at all for email. See the configuration instructions here:

However, OTA is indeed only for email...the other items must still be synched via USB tether, but email sync should be disabled between the PIM and the BB...

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Or am I misunderstanding your attempted configuration?

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Kznailz

I'm not having any issues getting my email - that works like a champ.  It's getting my contacts and calendars that doesn't work

kznailz

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

OK -- then the KB above (for configuring for an organizer app) should give you the instructions to create the tethered conduit to do that. If it's not working, then I'd suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots):

1) Remove your device OS update package from your PC (add/remove programs)

2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM DTM software:

• KB02206 How to perform a clean uninstall of BlackBerry Desktop Software

3) Get a fresh download of the RIM DTM software:

• Choose the version that is newest and (if applicable) compatible with your PIM (if you are synchornizing via USB):
  • KB12268 Applications supported by BlackBerry Desktop Manager for synchronization

4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:

5) Install DTM to your PC

6) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package

7) Start the organizer configuration over:

• KB17022 How to configure organizer applications for synchronization using BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Hopefully that will get things going again.

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Kznailz

Sorry that took so long, but I wanted to make sure I followed all the directions to a tee. 

While reinstalling Desktop Manager 50.0. I had four .dll files that failed to register:

1.  IS71Connectors\ISgroupwise6.5X\GW.dll

2.  IS71Connectors\ISgroupwise6.5X\GWApi.dll

3.  IS71DesktopSetup\DesktopSetup_pb.dll

4.  IS71Action Engine\SyncAE-pb.dll

But it finished and said that install was complete.  I finished the rest of the step and tried to reset the sync to my outlook profile - this is a personal machine / I am the administrator / there is only one profile on the machine.

Not sure how to manually add the .dll files to the registry and don't want to mess it up!

Because I am using hotmail without outlook connector, my incoming email file / mail delivery location = seymoursailor@hotmail.com has a location of "not available".  My guess is because its not physically on my machine but on the web.  That's where the contacts and calendars I want to sync are stored as well.

For what its worth, there are two other .pst files associated with that profile, with contacts and maybe even a calendar.  But I can't seem to grab any of it in Blackberry Desktop Manager.

I'm guessing I'm overlooking something obvious and hopefully easy.  By now I just can't see the forest for the trees.

Karen

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Hmmm...unregistered DLL's during install...that is exceeding my knowledge base. But, I suppose you could try the same command that you used at the end of the Clean Uninstall? It's really out of my experience though...

I think that your guess is right about the "not available"...the desktop system does not really come into play for email at all, it is probably just shown for reference.

Now, you want your contacts and calendar as well from HotMail...I think that you must get them synchronizing ot Outlook first and then allow DTM to synch them between Outlook and your BB (via tethered synch).

So let me see if I can boil it down:

Email -- OTA synch, via BIS, is working just fine between your BB and HotMail. Check.

Calendar/Contacts -- originals stored in HotMail. Synching to Outlook desktop just fine (???). Need to complete the connection between BB and Outlook via DTM. Error messages above.

Right?

(Hopefully the PST's don't come into play at all...)

Hopefully, someone with more DTM synch knowledge will happen by to help more than I can. Sorry I can't take it further, but I just don't sync the way you do so can't speak from any direct experience.

Best!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

[ Edited ]

I have a feeling that what is happening here is actually due to something a little different altogether.

When using Hotmail in Outlook via the Outlook Connector, Outlook simply connects to the Hotmail service.  It will set up it's own .pst file, but it's seperate from the default Outlook.pst file.  What this is making me think is that Desktop Manager is simply not able to access the correct .pst file.

I don't know if this will work, but it may be worth a shot.  Open Outlook, then go to Tools > Account Settings and then select the Data Files tab.  See if you have two .pst folders set up.  It's been a while since I did this, so I might have the names wrong.  The default .pst file is the main Outlook profile.  The other should list your email username or Hotmail.pst or something similar.  Try selecting the Hotmail account and click "Set as Default."  Then try the sync.

If this still doesn't work, then the problem is because of an issue between Outlook and Outlook Connector - and it isn't really a problem, it's just a bit of functionality that doesn't exist.  In this case, the alternative method (as I see it) is to copy all of your Hotmail Contacts into your main contacts folder.  Again, it's been a while as I no longer use Hotmail via Outlook so I can't exactly say how to do this.

Unfortunately, this may be a limitation of Hotmail and Outlook rather than the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.  I hope you're able to get this up and running though.

EDIT:  Well, we now have Bifocal's method too :smileyhappy:.  Hopefully one of these will work.  If not, I'm leaning towards the new Outlook Connector being the issue and not properly integrating with Outlook.

Message Edited by Krypto on 09-01-2009 11:01 PM

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi,

This is the "kluge" of info I have on the problem, but I have not gotten to the right one yet.

Basically the desktop manager (5.0) did not correctly register, Using the clean install procedure will fix this

As well as doing a MAPI recreate on Outlook to set all options.

I'll be be back when I can find the right KB.

Thanks,

Bifocals

EDIT : This is the right answer, but not the best explanation,

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9500&message.id=12411&query.id=196340...

.KB15812
Runtime error - folder is no longer part of system data source or data
could not be foundKB15812 Runtime error - folder is no longer part of
system data source or data could not be found

KB15090 Missing Microsoft Outlook translator in BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.3

KB15564 No available message stores

KB15303 Runtime error: application section is not file-based.

KB02362
Unable to choose Microsoft Outlook as a translator

KB15303 Runtime error: application section is not file-based

KB15812 Runtime error - folder is no longer part of system data source or data could not be found

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-01-2009 08:10 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter