Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Developer
sgt-d
My Device: Not Specified

Re: I bricked my Tour by installing BBM5.0

i personally think bbm5 isn't ready for prime time.

i have two 8320 curves, one was running 4.5.0.124, the other was on 4.5.0.161. back when bbm5 leaked (5.0.0.8) i was never able to gracefully install it on either phone. on the 161 i tried going back and forth from the stock bbm to the leak, eventually it worked. on the 124 i tried on and off for 2 days, eventually i decided to "streamline" the leak into the os folder and then re-install the 124 os. it worked.

when bbm5 official was released (5.0.0.33) i decided to use the normal link to install it (not appworld). it worked on both phones perfectly.

i had been waiting to try os 4.5.0.163 for weeks because i wanted to wait until bbm5 was released officially by rim with working OTA installers. once i saw bbm official work flawlessly on two devices i decided to replace my 161 with 163.

bad idea.

it's been two days of hell and i've tried everything imaginable to get it working. i've tried the OTA installers and told it to replace the old modules... it puts the cods in place but when i restart there is no icon anywhere and it isn't running in the task switcher. i tried installing the os without bbm at all so the OTA wouldn't have to overwrite old modules, didn't work. i re-installed os 163 with bbm installed and tried appworld instead of OTA, no luck. then i installed 163 without bbm and then tried appworld, again, no love. i also tried streamlining it and then re-installing the os so 5.0.0.33 would be installed with the os... all the files were there, but it wouldn't run and there was no home screen icon. i tried a custom alx file with the 5.0.0.33 cod files, never worked. i tried using application loader and the dm loader, no luck. i've tried manually loading (mcp) the cod files for different bbm versions.  i just found all 11 cod files and added them into the os folder and the alx file.  i did another os install with bbm5 official streamlined.  it failed on net_rim_bb_qm_lib_barcode.cod so i removed it and installed the os again.  the second attempt failed on net_rim_bb_qm_peer_lib.cod.  so i removed that and installed again.  no home screen icon and no running bbm.  i then manually put the 2 mentioned cod's on the device and rebooted.  advanced options showed only 9 modules, so i ran the OTA (from the blackberry site, not appworld) and rebooted, now all 11 modules showed as being loaded.  no home screen icon, no running bbm.  *sigh*

i am pretty much resigned to the idea that i will never be able to get it working. i hate even trying really because once i attempt it i can never get the stock version of bbm to work either.

grr...
New Contributor
lucky7s
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.  I experienced the same issue on Sprint's Blackberry Tour with version 4.7.1.40.

I tried to reload the OS using Desktop Manager, I encountered some BSOD issues on my laptop.  Not good.

Ended up taking it to a Sprint repair center and they were able to reload the OS, all I lost were my contacts, emails and calendar info. The apps I had stayed on the device.  He was able to reload BBM 4.7, and I do not dare download version 5.0 again!

Regular Contributor
mousky
My Device: Tour 9630

Bell Mobility Tour (4.7.1.40). Absolutely no issues upgrading to BBM 5.0. Upgraded via App World.
New Contributor
jkurl

I have experienced the same thing w/ my Tour.  I have been able to get it to work, but now I have another problem w/ BBM 5.0.  The new problem is when I open it the program won't allow me to send messages to my contact.  I select them and hit the trackball and no dice.  Then at some point the screen goes white if i hit the BB button.  I am tired of deleting the app and then reinstalling it.  You would think BB would have tested this app extensively before jacking people's phones.  Oh and for the verzion people I go the run around as some of you have experienced.

I got the excuse they couldn't restore it due to public officials might sue them if information leaks out.  Verizons way of not taking responsibility I guess, but here is the kicker.  I took the phone into the BB store in the Atlanta airport which I stumbled onto and they reloaded the software for me.  

So I am going to attempt to reload BBM 5.0 again for the how many knows time.

New Contributor
rscarlett

By way of an update...I took the bricked Tour to VZW and asked them to reinstall the OS and get it operational again.  Instead, they just did a swap for a new Tour!  

Since my original device had been a little fluky (especially the trackball!), I thought that this was a good solution.  Of course I lost all my contacts and so forth, but was able to reinstall them without problem. 

I have reinstalled App World, but will not try to load BB Messenger 5.  I don't use Messenger that often anyway, and 4.x  is working just fine anyway.

New Developer
sgt-d

so for older devices running 4.5.x i finally found a trick that seems to work, almost every time.

requirements:  you have to have the old bbm 5.0.0.8 zip file with the cod's for os 4.5.  you also have to have most/all of the "stock" modules that came with the os installed on your device --- but particularly, since bbm 5 uses "locations", you have to install blackberry maps.

if you can't get bbm 5.0.0.8 to install with desktop manager or application loader you can always use blackberry master control program http://mcpfx.com to manually "load" the cod files to your device.

if that fails you could re-install and os onto your device and "slipstream" the bbm 5.0.0.8 cod files in the os folder so when your device is done flashing it is already running bbm 5.0.0.8.

one way or the other, bbm 5.0.0.8 should eventually go.

once that is in place you can "springboard" from 5.0.0.8 up to 5.0.0.33.  basically you can now simply go to http://blackberry.com/blackberrymessenger and do the ota install.

sadly, you can't upgrade directly from bbm 4.x to 5.0.0.33 and you can't "slipstream" bbm 5.0.0.33 into your os folder.  these methods always fail.

my problem was blackberry maps wasn't installed on my device.

New Contributor
noahfingway
My Device: Storm2 - 9550

Had the exact same problem . . . downloaded it from AppWorld.

After calling VZW, they passed me to RIM; told me that the problem was that the version on AppWorld was different than the version on Blackberry.com (which he told me when  I asked him how the 5.0 version could have this kind of problems when it was in almost full market release for 3 mos before the actual release). Then asked him why two different BB sites both owned/operated by RIM could work in different environments.

Anyway, my problem was eventually solved by wiping & rebuilding my device and now I'm running BBmess 4.7. Hoping they get their act together and that the upgrade to 5.0 is better tested.

New Contributor
jkurl

I finally figured out my problem w/ BBM 5.0.  For some reason Quicklaunch 2.4 and BBM 5.0 do not work together nicely.  I am now able to use BBM w/out putting it in the quicklaunch menu.  That stinks because if I needed to IM someone I could switch to the app real fast.  Oh well at least I got BBM5.0 working.  

New Developer
sgt-d

my earlier post was a little incorrect.  yesterday i installed an os and the only things i didn't install were things like voice activated dialing, push to talk and myfaves...  i left everything else alone.  after the installation i was able to upgrade directly from bbbm 4.7 to 5.0.0.33.

samgia3
My Device: Tour-9630

Same issue as everyone else.  I just connected my BB Tour to my mac BB Desktop Manager and updated to the 5.0 OS and 5.0 BBM.  Now when I connect via USB to my desktop manager, everything begins to connect, i.e. the program indicates that it is connecting, and my Tour indicates that there is some connection b/w the mac and BB but after about 15-20 seconds of that....nothing.  Desktop Manager shows as "not connected"  Anyone had any luck with resolving any of these issues?  Is Blackberry looking to provide any technical assistance in the matter?