07-21-2009 03:13 PM
After many years of picking the cheapest, simplest phones my provider (Verizon) offered, my business finally warrants me stepping upto a smartphone. Even though I am in the design/tech business, I've always resisted getting a 'fancy' phone. Yeah, I was the guy that made fun of Blackberrys. But now I can say I'm the proud owner of a Blackberry Tour. I got it this past weekend and am very happy with it so far. Not quite to the point where I'm saying "how did I ever live without this", but it is pretty **bleep** awesome, and useful as hell. That said... I, as a Blackberry newbie, have a few questions about the Tour...
1) I have my Hotmail and Mac mail sent to my phone now, but so far I only see emails sent since I got the phone. Is there any way to view/manage my entire inbox?
2) With all my past phones, if I got a text or picture message, a big screen comes up and announces that I have a message, and I immediately get the options of 'read or ignore' or some similar terminology. With the Blackberry, a tone sounds and the little red astersik appears on whichever place I'm getting a message from, be it a mail account or a text message. Then I go hunt it down. Is there a way to have some sort of alert to pop up or do I just need to learn 'the Blackberry way?' Not a huge issue, but thought I'd ask.
3) I guess in a similar vein to the previous question, is there anyway to hotkey certain functions?
4) I'm having issues with picture messages some people I send them to get them and some don't different phones, different carriers. Is this a Blackberry thing, a carrier thing, or a smartphone-in-general thing?
I appreciate any info anyone has to offer and apologies ahead of time if I have annoying follow-up questions. Just trying to make the most of my device.
07-21-2009 04:03 PM
While I'm no Pro...I used to be the guy that said hell with crackberries until our email provider offered hosted exchange and BES.
Now I get it....seriously.
I can't answer all your questions...I'll try my best.
1. Not a way that I've found. Only new messages.
2. There may be an automatic open option, but I don't think so.
3. You'll find the most adept users have hot keys for everything, a few examples:
There are all kinds of hot keys you'll find.
4. No rhyme or reason. I got a lot of buds that send and receive pictures with me, Nextel, Verizon, Sprint, etc. Some come through, some don't.
07-21-2009 04:22 PM
07-24-2009 08:02 PM
You might check this out...