Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
Colonel_Kill
My Device: BlackBerry 9630
My Carrier: verizon

I want to repair my water damaged Blackberry

So I was having a great day at the beach and me and my blackberry went swimming. This happened over a week ago. I did the rice thing but it didn't matter my phone is broken. Is there any way I can figure out what is broken and buy a replacement part? I already found one website that has some replacement parts, but I still don't know how to tell what is broken. If there's some online guide on how to troubleshoot this or some company I can call it would be much appreciated.Thanks.

Site with blackberry parts:

http://www.horizonwirelessonline.com/cat/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=1&sort=20a&page=...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Colonel_Kill

Re: I want to repair my water damaged Blackberry

Oh and I have a blackberry tour 9360 with verizon wireless.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

That s a great site.

Was ththis salt water damage?  If so, and you didn't rinse with fresh water your device is likely not repairable as the salt will corrode the device,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,923
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Colonel, I lost one due to salt water.

John Clark tried to get me to wash it in distilled water... but I waited too long.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LuvMyVette
My Device: Tour 9630 OS 4.7.1

I've successfully recovered devices by rinsing them out with isopropyl alcohol but it was immediately after the water damage.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Alcohol is good but you have to disassemblel the device.  One thing to be careful of if you do the alcohol wash is to NOT get alchohol in the display.  I made that mistake once with an 8700 and had to get another display from Horizonwirelessonline.com

Most of the time I will say that devices are salvagable after water damage but only if the battery is removed immediately and if it was anything other than clean water it will need a rinse with clean distilled water...or at least clean water.  Then just let the device dry out.  You can disassemble it and dry it or just let it sit for a few days in a warm place or in a bag of rice. 

Just don't get in a hurry to use the device again before it dries out.  Be aware that even batteries can be damaged by the water and the battery may not work until it dries out, as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
LuvMyVette
My Device: Tour 9630 OS 4.7.1

John,

Thanks for the feedback on the display and alcohol.

I've not run into that problem but will definitely keep it in mind for future reference.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Colonel_Kill

It was salt water. I let it dry out first on the beach in the sun, I'm in Puerto Rico so the sun is really strong. Then I put it in rice for a day. A day after it was in rice I tried to use it, the screen did nothing, there was a red light in the corner that was constant on, and my phone made some static noise then turned off for good. So is there hope to repair it?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Colonel,

The salt corrodes the components inside the device.  You didn't rinse the salt water out of it and you turned it on too soon.  There is no saving this device.  Had you rinsed the salt water out it may have been salvageable.  The only way to even try and save it at this point would be to disassemble it and wash it with alcohol (don't get alcohol on the display).  However, at this point there is a very low likelihood this will work since you've attempted to use it when it was still wet inside and the salt has already been doing it's destructive work.

It's time for a new phone.  Sorry.

Please use plain text.
phonebreaker101
My Device: curve 8250
My Carrier: vodafone

the same thing happened mine but the red light came on this morning! is there any hope? i got it only a small bit wet with salt water and sprayed electrical contact cleaner and wiped the salt out , it was only on the battery connection thank goodness! is there any chance of life in my phone again because it only happened yesterday and the light this morning?

Please use plain text.