Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Fitterdata
My Device: Not Specified

Lack of wifi is an insult

To claim this phone is a world phone, and not release it with wifi is nonsense. To force me to rely solely on a cell phone connection without the added flexability of wifi support completely turns me off, and makes this claim to be a world phone seem silly. Wifi is a standard feature on phones and even other portable devices. I am person that frequently travels inside and outside of this country, and have found that often times a cell phone connection is lacking but many remote corners of the world have internet.

Its ridiculous to release this "world" "smart" phone without wifi support, and makes me doubt my decision both to stay with a blackberry, and verizon wireless.

(After hearing that verizon wireless refused to allow the release of wifi enabled storms and tours) 

Please use plain text.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Lack of wifi is an insult

This was due to a decision by Verizon and other CDMA carriers, not BlackBerry.

Note that supposedly every BlackBerry on the Verizon and Sprint networks after the Tour (and Storm 2 I believe) will come with wifi.  You can choose to continue to wait for one of these models, or not.

If you are unhappy with this, my suggestion would be to take it up with Verizon.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
dave1812dave
My Device: Storm

I agree phones should have wifi!  Either don't buy one w/o or take it back if you already bought it.  Vote with your dollars.
Dave
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
phlyphyshr

Get over it!  Blackberry & Verizon are still the best combo going! 
Please use plain text.
Contributor
danmcq

I have no need for Wifi. Here in DC Verizon even has cell repeaters in the subway.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nicodemus

I have an unlimited data plan for $15, no need for wifi...
Please use plain text.
Contributor
OurManInCHS
My Device: Verizon Blackberry Tour

Fitterdata wrote:

I am person that frequently travels inside and outside of this country, and have found that often times a cell phone connection is lacking but many remote corners of the world have internet.

Its ridiculous to release this "world" "smart" phone without wifi support, and makes me doubt my decision both to stay with a blackberry, and verizon wireless.

(After hearing that verizon wireless refused to allow the release of wifi enabled storms and tours) 

Haha!  I'd much rather have my Verizon Blackberry Tour (or even the Verizon 8830 World Edition that I had before) with their Global Unlimited Data Plan if I'm standing on the central square in Vladivostok, Russia, than a WiFi enabled device.  I can easily get a strong GSM signal and send off an e-mail (at no extra charge!), but my chances of finding WiFi are slim to none.  And if I do, it's likely not going to be free.
Cheers. 

Please use plain text.