Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

jamahaffey
My Device: Not Specified

Media Player stops playing music for no reason....

Hi All,

I recently exchanged my Tour for another one because I thought something was wrong with the Media Player.  Long story short, music would just stop playing after about 10 min. for what seemed to be no reason (i.e., no notifications, no phone calls, battery level great).  Called Verizon, and they said I had to format my media card.  Did that, but it didn't resolve the problem.  Called Verizon back, and they direct-transferred me to Blackberry.  Blackberry told me I had to re-install the OS.  Had some issues with doing that (had 3 fatal errors), but finally got it done, and the tech stayed on the phone with me to listen to 3 songs to make sure they didn't just stop.

Thought things were going well until music stopped after 30 minutes the next day.  Thought maybe it was the media card, so I tried it in a friend's Bold.  Played music for over an hour with absolutely no issues.  So, at Blackberry's recommendation, I swapped the Tour for a new one, today.

Just listened to about 20 minutes worth of music, and again, it just stopped, for no reason.  And, like yesterday, when I try and start a new song, no go.  Freezes the Tour for a short bit, eventually allows me to scroll down to pick a song, but then freezes the Tour, again, when I try and choose the song.

Is anyone else experiencing this?  Could some program I downloaded be causing havoc (PaderSync, SmrtGuard, Uber Twitter, Facebook, MemoryUp Pro are the only apps I've downloaded)?

Thanks for any insight. 

Contributor
jbshaps

Re: Media Player stops playing music for no reason....

At least now I have someone to commiserate with!  Yes, happens to me all the time.  At random intervals, but inevitably the most inopportune moments.  Sometimes I can play music for hours, other times for 10 minutes.  Same symptoms that you are experiencing.  A reboot takes care of this, but that can take 5-10 minutes to accomplish.  I am anxiously awaiting an OS update, since I do believe that it has to do with how the BB sees the media card...I am going to try putting one song on my device itself and see if it plays the next time it feezes like that...Just so you know, you can do a simulated battery pull reset by pressing the left <alt>, right <shift>, and Del keys at the same time.  Just saves time and wear and tear on the battery/door.
slimpickens73

I got my Tour last week (August 28, 2009), and I'm experiencing the same issue.  Media player freezes after about 10 minutes of use.

I uploaded my music from an iTunes playlist.

Please post in here if you find a solution that works... this is pretty frustrating.

New Contributor
kenn72

Again, more "Kudos!" 's without solutions.  What the.... I don't get it with this site.  i have the same issue and now it says that there is no media card.  hey bb staff, a little help, PLEASE?

Contributor
jbshaps

I am just curious...is everyone that is having this problem using a media card that they originally had in an older BB?  I, for one, took this 6GB card out of my Curve and just plopped it into my Tour.  All worked fine except the problems that we all have described.  I had been playing music for the past week without the pesky reboot...until yeterday.  What I am going to try next is to copy the media card to my computer, then put it back into my tour and use the format media card function...then I will put everything back on.  Short of an OS upgrade, I think this is about as far as I can go to solve the problem myself.
skiprennell

Hi gang, I'm a new BB user but long time cell phone and PC user.  I purchased two Sprint model Tours one month ago.  One for my wife and one for me.  My wife hasn't had any issues with her phone however she doesn't use the music player.  Fortunately neither of us have had any trackball issues.  So far my only isse has been constant problems with the media player shutting down and freezing the cell phone entirely.  At times it plays music with no issue causing me to think I have magically cured the problem.  I have formated the micro card twice and reloaded all music twice without being able to solve the problem.  The only thing I have found that temporarily cures the problem is to remove the battery and reboot the device.  My operating system has been updated to version 4.7 and I faithfully use the BB desktop manager.  So far the only time I can remember my Tour not freezing while playing music was before upgrading to os system 4.7 and when not using headphones.  I recently installed App World software and then installed a program "something lite" that will automatically reboot the device at a secheduled time.  So far so good with a daily reboot scheduled for 2:30AM (while I'm asleep).  Hopefully BB will resolve all of the BB Tour isses very soon as I really don't like being the field tester at my expense for what I thought was a high quality product.  Fortunately our cell phones are primarily for business purpose and the media player was only a nice amenity.  However, it would be nice to have a totally functional phone.  It is my opinion after reading everyone's post that the issue is with the os and should be addressed by BB.  Having owned cell phones for the past 11 years of different brands we may not purchase another BB product the next time around.  My Sanyos never had issues like this.  Pushed e-mail for business is nice but we lived without it before and can live without it again. 
slimpickens73

I've figured out how to get my BB Tour Media Player to stop freezing:  Turn off the GPS.

I don't know why, I'm going to guess that having the 2 things running together consumes too much processing power and results in the freeze.  But that is an uneducated guess.

However it's been a successful work around for me.

Here's hoping RIM can figure out a permenant fix.

New Contributor
Dougal2
My Device: Tour 9630 - OS v. 5.0.0.419

Turning off the GPS did not work for me. 

For some this problem seems to be intermittent, while for others it is more regular.  In my case it happens regularly usually within 10 minutes of use ...but not with every song.  I have also noticed that it stops in the same places in the same songs ...songs that work fine if played from the same SD card on my computer.  Sometimes you can simply restart the song and it will play, other times you have to roll the song ahead and start it in order for it to resume playing.

At first I thought it was simply timing out and turning off like the display backlight but that is not the case because if I keep it in my hand and keep it lit by moving the trackball, it will still stop.

I'm stumped.

New Contributor
Dougal2
My Device: Tour 9630 - OS v. 5.0.0.419

Here's another thread with the same problem:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Storm-BlackBerry-9500/Sound-stops-while-music-keep...

And, as this thread mentions, the player actually keeps playing (you can see the time counter going) but there is no sound.  This is how it works on my Tour.

I installed another player, Mobiola xPlayer, and guess what ....exactly the same problem with the sound stopping in the same places.