Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

bignirp
My Device: Not Specified

Moving contacts to Blackberry 9630

I have a 8120 on tmobile...and am needing to move my contacts over to my new blackberry 9630.  I'm using the desktop manager, but it is not sucessfully movng the contacts over.  Please advise if anyone has done this and what I might doing wrong.  I have downloaded the latest software from online (5.0).
JSanders
Solutions: 5,982
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Moving contacts to Blackberry 9630

Oh yea, it's been successfully done, many times.

Use Desktop Manager > Switch Device Wizard.

If that presents problems, do a backup of the old device using Desktop Manager, then you can connect the new device for a Restore of the data to the new device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
bignirp

I tried these options, but neither of them has moved the information to my new blackberry.  I backed up the information and then tried restoring, but the info didn't come onto the tour.  I then tried the switch, but no luck either.
JSanders

"no luck" is just not enough detail to diagnose what the issues are, or the errors.

So what's happening? We really do want to help figure out the problem.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
bignirp

I first saved all my info from the older blackberry via the desktop manager.  I specifically moved my address book and saved it in a backup file on my computer.  When I plug in my blackbery 9630, the address book is grayed out and I can't move it to 9630.

When I try to do the device switch, the only thing I notice is that it says you don't have a profile.  It goes through the process, but when all done, the address book is not on the 9630.

JSanders

OK, so on the old device, did you do a complete backup, and a separate backup of ONLY the address book?

Do this:

Connect your BlackBerry to your USB > PC.

Open Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore > Advanced.

On the left hand side is your backup files. Choose File > Open and navigate to and select your most recent backup file. Open it.

Now, when that loads, on the left hand pane, find the Address Book database, highlight it by clicking on it once and then click on the middle arrow facing right to move that data to the handheld device. 

Follow the prompts that follow.

Knowledge Base Updates
bignirp

Yes, I did a full backup and then did one of just the address book.  I followed your instructions and that is the issue I'm having, when I open the backup file, the address book is grayed out and will not give me the open to move to the right.  When I open up the entire backed up file, most of them are grayed out too and only a few files are options for me to move.