Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

dudeman669
My Device: tour 9630

PNY 16GB SDHC memory card compatibility

Hello,

I have a tour 9630 with OS 5.0 and it is supposed to support up to a 32GB SDHC memory card.  However after installing a new PNY 16GB memory card  I am not able to transfer files larger than 4GB or so.  I have not tested the limit, however when I try to transfer a movie file of 5.16GB it tells me there is not enough free space.  The card will hold 15GB of data, however it cannot accept a transfer larger than 4GB it appears.  Is this a BB OS or BB overall issue?  I believe this may be related to the FAT32 file system used by the BB.  If I format with NTFS as soon as I insert the card the phone prompts me to format.

The phone sees 14.9GB when you go into "memory".  Mass transfer is "on", memory card support "on", MTP protocol "on", and auto enable mass storage mode is "on".

Here are my details:

-windows 7 OS

-BB OS 5.0

-PNY 16GB SDHC card

New Contributor
MikeOWaterloo
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: PNY 16GB SDHC memory card compatibility

My understanding is that FAT32 has a 4GB filesize limit.

Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: PNY 16GB SDHC memory card compatibility

The card is obviously formated in 32  bit FAT.  I never tried to format the card in NTFS as like on a computer and use it in a phone.

Try formatting the card in the phone and see what happens. Don't forget to first back up the card's contents. After re-formating the card in the phone see if that does the fix.

If the phone formatted card does not work for the large file sizes you want, remove the card and try formatting it with your PC. Select NTFS as the type of format. If your phone does not see the card at all, or has problems with it, then remove the card and with your PC format it back as FAT32. 

If the phone can now see the card again, re-format it with the phone just to make sure it is in spec for the phone. At this point if the NTFS format did not work with the phone, you will have to live with 4GB as the maximum file size. If the NTFS worked for you, then you are in business to handle very large file sizes in your phone.

Jerry G.