Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
eyesee
My Device: Tour 9630

Power is not on

I'm from India & today got delivered new 9630 from USA thru' eBay. Inserted battery, power was not on, charged for 4 hours, still power is not on. Very much depressed, please help.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Power is not on

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

It is also possible that you received a faulty BB...in which case you need to inquire of the seller.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
eyesee

Thank you sdgardne, I followed your instructions and the phone's power problem solved. I appreciate your quick reply. Now another problem arises, I bought it as unlocked but tried Indian airtel, vodafone, idea & reliance sims but on the screen it shows "activation required". Can anyone give some ray of hope in this matter?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

[ Edited ]

eyesee wrote:

Thank you sdgardne, I followed your instructions and the phone's power problem solved. I appreciate your quick reply.

You are welcome...I am glad it worked for you.

eyesee wrote:

ow another problem arises, I bought it as unlocked but tried Indian airtel, vodafone, idea & reliance sims but on the screen it shows "activation required". Can anyone give some ray of hope in this matter?

Oh...that is of concern. The only relevant KB I can find is this:

• KB32815 After enabling the Mobile Hotspot feature on a BlackBerry smartphone a message indicates "Activation Required"

But, based on what you've said, I do not think that is relevant.

Rather, please start here:

Ensure please that the device truly is unlocked. If it is not, then that must be accomplished before you proceed.

Also, please review carefully the radio specs of this device:

Ensure that the capabilities of the device are indeed compatible with the carrier networks you are attempting to use...you may need to ask the carriers specifically so as to compare their network frequencies against those that the device is capable of.

You also should ask them if their network natively supports this specific model number BB...for if their network does not, then you may have subsequent challenges getting the BB-proprietary (BIS) services to function. Typically, the automatic registration (HRT) and Service Book delivery capabilities of a carrier network are limited to only those specific model number BBs that they natively support. If their network does not natively support this specific model number, then you may have significant challenges ahead. You may succeed in getting voice services to work OK, but you may have great challenges with BB-proprietary data services (e.g., email, BBM, etc.). You need to ask your carrier(s) this very specific question so that you can decide if proceeding is worth your efforts.

Once the device is verified to be unlocked as well as compatible with your local carrier network(s), then please review this:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If you can contact the seller, you should ask them specifically if they already carried out ALL of the Seller steps, for those are a prerequisite to the Buyer steps.

If you want to risk it, you can attempt just the Buyer steps and hope that nothing the Seller should have done (but failed to) impedes your use of this device. If you decide to take this approach, please review this:

• KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is any hint of an IT Policy, that will tell you that indeed the Seller DID NOT properly complete their required steps before selling the device. You can still attempt to continue alone, however, but your risk factor increases. If you decided to proceed without the Seller, then please add to the Buyer steps in the above KB this:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

However, if you have conducted a backup from which you intend to restore, DO NOT do a full restore...rather, only do a selective restore of only those databases essential to you (e.g., contacts, calendar), and ensuring that you avoid restoring any that have to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, etc...if you do a full restore, then you may simply return the BB to the condition it now is in, negating all of the efforts you've taken up to that point.

You may have significant challenges ahead in getting this device to function. You should start with attempting to get solely voice level services (phone calls, SMS, Voice Mail) working first...only when that is working properly with your selected carrier should you then attempt anything to do with data-level services.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
eyesee

i bought it new in org pack from ebay global with bill. they sold it as "new 9630 Blackberry Tour Unlocked". there is verizon symbol on the lower front panel  & also wallpaper.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

None of that is relevant to the information I provided you above, unless you discover that the seller misrepresented it, in which case you lodge a case with them (via the eBay Resolution Center). But, to determine if they misrepresented it (regarding being unlocked), you need to follow the instructions provided above.

The "wallpaper" is likely I think the initial boot up "splash screen"...that, too, is not relevant concerning if the device is truly MEP unlocked or not. That device will forever show that splash screen, regardless of the carrier on which it may be operating. The splash screen itself is meaningless for your purposes. The only thing it means is that the BB has a VendorID that matches Verizon (as assigned at the factory when originally manufactured), but that is not relevant to being usable on a different carrier. Only the unlocked status, as provided earlier, is relevant to this point.

For all else, you are likely on your own to ensure that the device can even work with your specific carrier network. But, again, all instructions for you to do this are already posted above.

So, do you have a new question about that?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates