Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
Hjsamv
My Device: Storm

Problem updating my device's software?

Yesterday I wanted to install the Spanish lanugage in my BB because I had removed it to open some space up when I first got my phone ... At the same time, I decided to update some applications in my phone ( BB maps, Windows live messenger etc.). I connected my phone to my PC, got in Application Loader, after making some adjustments, clicked ''Next''. A couple of minutes after starting the update, my phone turned off and on my PC, I saw the following message: A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again. I try again and again and again but everytime, my phone would just turn off for no reason and restart itself! Today, I went through the whole procedure with the same result: phone shutting off & restarting, error message displaying on PC screen - no update to the device. What the hell? 

Oh and since I've updated my phone to the latest version, sometimes I want to listen to music but the music just wont play ; my phone just mutes itself... I need to always press STOP and PLAY back again so that my song would play or raise the volume... Even if I've been listening to a song and the next song is supposed to play, it doesn't - I need to stop the song and press play again. 

I'm really, really very unsatisfied with my storm. Problems over problems over problems ... 

- '' Le sage ne dit pas ce qu'il sait et le sot ne sait pas ce qu'il dit. '' E.W.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Problem updating my device's software?

There might be some issues while updating your device OS. I think you would be bettre of by reinstalling device OS again. Check the below link and follow the steps to wipe out device OS from BlackBerry and install OS.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/How_do_I_wipe_the_BlackBerry_using_Jl_Cmder%3F

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hjsamv

Oh god. It's too complicated. Not all of us are computer geniuses. And I'm afraid i'll f.... up my phone more than it already is. You sure that this is the only way out? What is an OS?

''You are about to completely erase a blackberry''  ; that sentence is scary. How can I be sure that all my data will be restored?

This is crazy and risqué. 

- '' Le sage ne dit pas ce qu'il sait et le sot ne sait pas ce qu'il dit. '' E.W.
Please use plain text.
Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Before you start the activity you must have a back up of your device data using Blackberry desktop manager.

Then follow the below for OS upgrade by installing device OS in the PC -

Step #1:
Before starting make sure that BlackBerry Desktop Software is installed on the Computer.

Step #2:
Make sure that you have installed updated device software installed in your PC. Check this link to get update device software from carrier OS download site.

Step#3:
Users can perform a full or selective backup of the data using the Backup and Restore tool in BlackBerry Desktop Manager by completing the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry device to the computer running BlackBerry Desktop Manager
2. Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager
3. Double-click Backup & Restore
4. Select Backup to perform a full backup or select Advanced to perform a backup of specific databases
5. Choose a location to save the backup file, then click Save

Step#4:

To perform a clean install of the BlackBerry Device Software, perform the following steps:

1. Connect the BlackBerry smartphone to the computer and open BlackBerry Desktop Manager
2. Double-click the Application Loader icon
3. Click Next to start the installation process
4. Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK
5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next
6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.
7. Click Next.
8. Click the check box next to Do not automatically backup the application data during the loading process
9. Clear the box next to Backup and restore applications installed wirelessly
10.Click Next -> Finish
11. When the process has completed, the message The loading operation was successful will appear. Click Close to return to BlackBerry Desktop Manager
Note: It's true that the process is for advanced level user. If you think that you might damage your device then it's better to ask help from either mobile operator or someone user.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hjsamv

Thanks for your patience and for somewhat agreeing with my comment. I will be doing this tonight and I'll let you know how it went. I just hope everything will work out because I cannot risk the fact of damaging my phone.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Hjsamv

Oh um ... I don't follow you when I get to here :

3. Click Next to start the installation process

When I double click on the Application Loader ... There is no Next button to start the installation process ....  There are two categories of thingsI can start : I can Add and Remove Applications or Update my Software ...
Let's say you meant Add and Remove Applications ...

4. Type your BlackBerry smartphone password, if prompted, and click OK

Nothing asks me to type my blackberry smartphone password ...

5. Click the check boxes next to the names of the applications you want to load, and then click Next

You mean uncheck the boxes????

6. Click Advanced, and then click the check box beside Erase all currently installed applications.

I don't have an ''Advanced'' button I can click on ..I only have BROWSE and SETTINGS, MAIN MENU, BACK, NEXT.

7. Click Next.

???

And I'm completely lost with your directives. Can you be more precise??

Please use plain text.