Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
consigwj
My Carrier: Verizon

Reading or accessing a backup/.ipd file

Hi, this question is probably for anyone who owns a Blackberry, not just the Tour 9630.

Like anyone who loses their phone (or has it stolen, as was mine), your contacts are invaluable, (and I am self-employed!).  So, I don't necessarily need the phone, but the contact information.  My most recent (and 1 of only a few) backups occurred on June 17, 2010.  However, I cannot read the information.  On the screen titled "Backup and Restore", all of the databases are in a faint, light gray text.  Under, it says something about that they cannot be restored because they have been configured for wireless synchronization or wireless backup, but this doesnt' make sense since I backed them up a few weeks ago.  Can anyone please help?!?!?!  Of course I would be much appreciative and eternally grateful.

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,747

Re: Reading or accessing a backup/.ipd file

Ok, good question, but first:

Do you have a new BlackBerry device you are attempting to restore this data to?

If not, and you just want to read the data on your PC, look at ABC Amber IPD Converter software for your PC.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
consigwj

Hi!  I don't have a new phone yet, I must wait 5-6 weeks for my annual upgrade. By then the 30-day trial will expire, but it doesn't seem expensive.  So, when I get my new phone, should I just purchase the ABC Amber program so that I may 'activate' the data and re-load it into my new phone?  I really don't know much about this stuff so anything you can tell me is great.  Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

consigwj wrote:

So, when I get my new phone, should I just purchase the ABC Amber program so that I may 'activate' the data and re-load it into my new phone?

No, when you get your new BlackBerry, you will use Desktop Manager > Backup/Restore to restore the backed-up data to the new device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
consigwj

Thanks so much

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
vee_blessing
My Carrier: Vodafone (Crazy Johns)

Hi JSanders,

could you help me with the same problem like in your reply below..

I just security wiped my BB tour 9630 because it was having several trouble and I thought I just gave it a try, maybe afterwards the problems will stop.

Anyway, I already have a backup file on my BB Desktop Manager, so I thought I would be able to restore it.

But, apparently after wiping out I could not restore it. After I clicked "Restore" and chose the restore file and continue to click "Open" nothing happened.

Could you give any advise on how to do this correctly?

appreciate your help or anyone that knows this problem.

Thx

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Try this: once you've selected the restore file, click on "selected data" and select only one specific database like your address book.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.