Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

wingsplace
My Device: Not Specified

Tethering the 9630

Can someone share with me how to tether the 9630 with my laptop?
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Tethering the 9630

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

When you say "tether", do you mean use your Tour as a USB-connected modem for your laptop? If so, see here:

KB05178 Support for tethered modem use

Or, do you mean to attach your Tour to your laptop to move files, etc. If so, see here:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...

Hope one of those is close to what you are looking for! Let us know.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TechBerry

If you are using VZW you need to download the VZaccess Manager software-- http://www.vzam.net/ to tether your 9630 as a modem this will install the appropiate drivers and software for your computer to tether.

If you just want to Sync data through BBDM download the appropiate desktop manager software V5.0 through the disk provided with your blackberry or here> http://www.vzam.net/blackberry

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
philipkoo2
My Device: BlackBerry 9630 (Tour)

I would like to advise you against tethering without either having a Phone-As-Modem (PAM for short) plan because I know that Sprint will penalize you for doing so without a plan (Verizon too), or if someone can confirm BlackBerries don't use (or only have 1) NAI (read below).

On my previous phones (Samsung clamshell and a HTC Touch Pro), I was able to disable a component called the Network Access Identifier, or NAI for short. This is sent by the phone that identifies the current data connection as either phone use or tethering. This pretty much allowed me to use tethering without being caught. Of course, most people can't use more several GBs on their phone, so excessive usage is a red flag on the network (Watch out!)

If BlackBerries don't have such a thing, can someone confirm this fact or confirm being able to tether without being yelled at by their respective providers?

"If it ain't broke, shoot it with a .44 until it is. Then get it replaced."
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
chmberry

I just got my hands on a document where you can bypass the carriers dialer packages and simply create your own dialer connection on Windows.  I actually set this up in 5 mins and am currently connected through a bluetooth connection to my laptop....

• Slide 4 .O {font-size:149%;} Go to Control Panel (assuming you have admin rights)
  • Click on Network Connections
  • Click New Connection Wizard
  • Click Next
  • Select “Connect to the network at my workplace”
  • Select “Dial-up connection”
  • Select “Standard Modem” (com port #’s may vary)
  • Name your connection (I called mine “Tour PAM”)
  • Dial number is #777
  • Select “Do not use my smart card”
  • Select “Anyone’s use” or “My use only”
  • Check “Add a shorcut to this connection to my desktop
  • Hit the “Dial” button to connect!
  • Going forward you simply need to click the created shortcut once tethered and running Desktop Manager in the background

Good luck...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
tessitori
My Device: BB Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

I followed your instructions step-by-step and I get an error message

Dialing ...#777

Dialing attempt 1.

Unable to establish a connenction.

Opening Port ...

Error 633. The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or it is not configured properly.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Any insight on data charges from the carrier?  I currently have an unlimited data plan!

Thank you in advance!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jasoncliff
My Device: Blackberry Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

You may want to read the following discussion at TetherBridge.com: http://tetherbridge.com/TetherPrimer.html It sheds a lot of light on why certain ways of tethering may not be charged by carriers for a fee while others incur a fee. Very enlighting, a must read.

Please use plain text.