Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
megzrules
My Device: BlackBerry Tour 9630
Accepted Solution

The phone won't even register that there's a SIM card in it

I live in India. My Uncle left me his blackberry which he purchased in the US. I think he got it from sprint but it's unlocked now. I tried using a 'TATA DOCOMO' SIM in the beginning. It would work for only one call and it would allow me to send messages. When I went to the service center, they told me to switch to AIRTEL for it to work. I did that and it worked for a few days. One day, I was just messing around and exploring. I opened bbm(I honestly have no idea how to use bbm) and since I wasn't able to connect to WiFi I tried exiting it. Then I went to my music player. It wouldn't let me play any music. It said that I had to turn off bbm in order to do so. I tried but couldn't. Since switching the phone off and turning it on again didn't work, I tried removing the battery pack. When I turned it back on, the music player worked fine but the phone didn't even recognize that there was a SIM in it. I guess the settings changed or something. Thanks in advance!

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: The phone won't even register that there's a SIM card in it

Your uncle used the phone with CDMA operation and your trying with AirTel which a GSM mobile operator. BlackBerry tour supports both CDMA and GSM network but the network band in USA and India may not be same for CDMA. Check below for details of network connectivity.

Tour supports all the GSM band meaning your phone will work with AirTel. For BBM or other BlackBerry features to work you need to have BlackBerry data plan which is different from usual Internet data plan. Contact your mobile service provider to get BlackBerry data plan.

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 2100
  CDMA/EVDO Rev A 800/1900

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
megzrules

Oh! So that's why I couldn't get the internet to work... but shouldn't I be able to connect it to the WiFi...

It originally worked with AIRTEL but when I removed the battery and inserted it again, it wouldn't even register that there was a SIM in it

Elite II
tanzim
My Device: Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Tour 9630 doesn't have any Wi-Fi connectivity.

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor
megzrules

oh..that was totally unexpected...

Thanks for your help. I put the SIM card in again and tried messing with the connection settings and now its working again.

New Contributor
green2bb
My Device: Tour 9630

Megzrules,
I have an unlocked BB 9630 tour and am going from US to Goa, India for a month or so. Your experience may help me as I want to buy local SIM card, what suggestions do you have? Are you able to only use phone and txt only or did you get your internet connectivity resolved? Thanks.
New Contributor
megzrules

Most people agree that AirTel is the best when it comes to getting enough bars. It's definitely the best service provider which would work on my phone. Most of them don't seem to work because of something to do with the phone having CDMA. AirTel has blackberry data plans too(they call me every month asking why I haven't taken one). I use my phone only for calling people and texting but at least according to the AirTel people, if you take a blackberry data plan, you can use the internet too.

New Contributor
green2bb
My Device: Tour 9630

Megzrules Thank you. This is very helpful. I will check out Airtel when I get there. Incidentally, I was told by a verizon (previous U.S. carrier) rep that even though India, like the U.S., uses CDMA, by changing settings to GSM one avoids the potential for roaming charges because the phone may seek a local affiliated Verizon carrier in India. This may not have an impact to you since you are only using the phone and text.  Thanks again.