Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

As I said my inclination is it is a hardware issue but since neither you nor I work in development at RIM neither of us knows. But I have seen bad code for scrolling applications in companies I've worked for. It can happen although it is rare.
New Contributor

Seems to be a hardware issue.  I just replaced my Sprint Tour after attempting to use it for a month with trackball issues from day one.  On my second one, I noticed immediately that the horizontal scrolling was more responsive at 70 out of the box - no need to move it up to 90 to make it usable.  I would like someone to explain how this could be a software issue... it's not.
Regular Contributor

It is a software issue . A large number of cdma tours went out with corrupt software. RIM will release a software patch to fix this issue.
New Contributor

See, I've been at Crackberry and BuzzAboutWireless (BAW) and tons of people are having this HARDWARE related issue. Trust me, It's not software. Don't believe me, Go to Options > Status > and type in TEST. Go to Keyboard and Trackball, Select it, and scroll down to Run Test, Skip the keyboard test, and test the Trackball test. You'll see scrolling vertically is a lot easier and more responsive, just by the number of registered movements per "scroll", VS the horizontal movement of the trackball and registered moves per "scroll".
Regular Contributor

No don't work for rim development however I do work for VZW and RIM has informed us of the software patch soon to come
New Contributor

I'm aware of this "patch" you speak of, but again, a software patch isn't going to fix a hardware problem.
Regular Contributor

Either way......I think it was a mistake to launch a product on such a large scale with its main component defective. Sorry Tour users I'm sure the issue will be resolved soon. If your trackball is not working call VZW they will replace it..............18009220204 or call sprint can't speak for their policy though :smileyhappy:
Contributor
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

NM08SRT8 wrote:
I'm aware of this "patch" you speak of, but again, a software patch isn't going to fix a hardware problem.
Thats because no1 has logically explained why it is either a software or hardware issue.
What RIM should had done was to address this already explaining what the issue was and why...

That would put people at ease... 

Regular Contributor

Whatever you do don't put a 8330 trackball it will void the warranty
Contributor

As I said before, the root problem has to be in the hardware.  Now, RIM could issue a software patch to try to "clean up" the dirty scroll data coming in, but by no means will it fix it 100%.  It will be a band-aid.

Someone said that the firmware was corrupted, this is garbage.  Usually when firmwares are written to the chips they run a checksum to verify the software is valid (complete). 

I got a new BB Tour last week from VZW which works perfect for a week now.  No issues what so ever; best phone ever :smileyhappy:.