Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

I had the same exact issue. The Verizon customer care idiots told me to take it into a store. The VZW stores are manned by some contract company Flextronics who are a bunch of retards. They accused that I had "water damage" on the phone, when all there was a 2 spots of perspiration on the outside of the back cover (not inside the device) due to it being a hot day (95 degree F) that day. So the Flextronics bozos refused to exchange the phone. I asked for the manager. He called me next day and I showed him how the trackball was defective and also how the back cover of the unit was loose which lets moisture and elements get through. I had print outs of forums from the internet that has reports of both these issues from various BB tour owners. The manager reviewed everything and was kind enough to exchange the device for me. I got lucky with this particular manager. Verizon should be ashamed to sell an expensive device like the BB Tour with so many defects in the device (bad trackball, loose battery cover etc.) They have absolutely no quality control. Same goes for RIM - this is what happens when they manufacture these devices in China, where you get cheap or no quality control ! I doubt that I will buy another BB ever again, unless their quality control improves !
Contributor
My Device: 9650 (Bold) / VZW v5.0.0.699

Update for Verizon Users: My local store says they don't have the replacement units yet but customer service says to ask for box with GREEN sticker, that is how you can tell it's the replacement! Also, one of the suggested workarounds and possible fix is changing the Trackball Sensitivity from a defualt of 60 and set it to 70. This worked a little better for me so I went to 80 and is kinda working but mouse is VERY jumpy so I think this is just a temp fix. Good luck everyone!
Maurice
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Tour

Interesting info,  my BB was already set to 70.  I do not know if the VZW person at the store changed it or if it came that way from the factory.  For me I think a setting of 60 woks well, it seems very stable at this setting.  When I tried 80 it was too sensitive for me.  My box does not have a green sticker.

Barry

Hi,

Can you please tell me where you got the blue trackball?

Thank you!

Contributor

As far as replacing the trackball, the Verizon customer service at our local store indicated that this model (9630) is very different in regards to the trackball and they are not recommending trying to replace just the ball.  Seems consistent with what they 611 technical support was saying last week as well. 

It would appear that they are taking a two prong approach, first recommending the sensitivity change to 70. 

If that works, then they are saying use it that way or wait for a software update that might also improve the trackball *or* if that does not fully work, then wait for the replacement units with the GREEN sticker on the box.

Hope that helps,

Maurice

Maurice
New Contributor

I wanted to follow up regarding my previous post.  After my second Tour also began demonstrating the trackball issue, I found myself fighting a two-front war with Sprint customer service: getting a non-defective Tour and getting the proper credits applied to my account due to the exchanges.  The experience with Sprint customer service was abysmal. Not one representative, supervisor, or manager acknowledged the trackball issue or resolved the credit issue. I will spare the details.

So, after numerous years with Sprint, I returned to Verizon (I switched to get an international plan, which was not offered by Verizon at the time).  I contemplated going with a different blackberry, despite enjoying the Tour (excepting the trackball, of course).  The in-store Verizon employee readily acknowledged the trackball issue, and confirmed with the in-store technical support staff that RIM was shipping replacement Tours to that store within the next month.  Once they arrive, Verizon customers with Tours can exchange them at no cost -- no questions asked.

Now I'm on Tour number three; even though the trackball is fine (at the moment) I will exchange it once the non-defective Tours arrive.  I suppose RIM figured it would deal with the issue by communicating to its customers (i.e., the providers), who would in turn communicate it to theirs (i.e., you and me) down stream.  Sprint, intentionally or unintentionally, failed to communicate the issue to its employees. Sprint's deception or incompetence, whichever the case may be, is probably costing them other customers as well. Oh well.

To all of the Verizon customers: take heart -- you will get a non-defective Tour replacement at no cost to you.

To all of the Sprtint customers: sorry -- hope you are within your 30-day return period or nearing the end of your contract.

misnomer

Contributor

Does anyone know whenthe infamous "GREEN STICKERD" Tours are coming out??  Anyone?
New Contributor

Based on what I was told (see above), non-defective Tours will be sent to Verizon stores within the next month or so. I do not know whether the boxes will have a green sticker or not.  Sprint doesn't seem to admit that the defect exists.

misnomer

Contributor

Just FYI, when I was in the Verizon store yesterday, I was told to check back today after 4 PM as they were getting shipments.  I think it is out but they must have a limilted supply going around, just a guess.
Maurice
New Contributor

I've had the same problem 3 times now. With the first two Tours it was an easy over the counter exchange. However, Blackberry has put an end to that (with Bell). Tour #3 was sent off today. I'm now stuck with a horrible flip phone as loaner. Not impressed. Worst thing about it is that the sales person recommended that I sell the Tour when I receive it in 10-15 business days. I absolutely love the phone but at what point do I give up on blackberry?