Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
aledc78
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

misnomer wrote:

Based on what I was told (see above), non-defective Tours will be sent to Verizon stores within the next month or so. I do not know whether the boxes will have a green sticker or not.  Sprint doesn't seem to admit that the defect exists.

misnomer

I have to disagree... at my Sprint corporate store, they are fully aware of the issue and are exchanging Tours without hassle. I got mine exchanged once and the new one(made in Mexico) is working fine. You are probably unlucky to have a sucky store in your area...

New Contributor
krider9876
My Device: Blackberry Tour

I am exchanging my second Tour for my third tomorrow. The second was great out of the box, but the horizontal tracking gradually deteriorated over the past two weeks.

Is anyone aware as to whether RIM has acknowledged this issue? It strikes me as odd that I cannot find any RIM bulletin about this. I sent HQ a fax last week and never got a response --- it gives the appearance of stonewalling. Have I missed anything? Maybe they are concerned that this could be a "black-eye" for them if word got out to the wider public, but it would give me some comfort if I knew that they were on top of this problem. I do appreciate the forum, however.

New Contributor
MWY885
My Device: Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630

After a week or so Trackball started having problems and eventually  would not cursor horizontally at all. Sprint denied knowing there was a problem.  After spending 45 mins on the phone and insisting about a known problem, Sprint shipped me a replacement phone, which showed up today.  Track ball on the new phone is working fine, but I have no way of knowing if this phone is one that Blackberry has rectified the problem are part of the inventory that trackball will eventually stop working.  Suggest to everyone to call your carrier right away when trackball starts acting up and insist on a replacement.  This is my first Blackberry, having changed over from Palm Treo's which have had for years.  Changed over to upgrade to Blackberry but not so sure upgrade is the right word after this trackball issue - for 3 days I could not retrieve my email on by BB Tour!!!   I've seen some mention of a BB Tour recall. It would be helpful if not comforting if BB would let us know the serial nos. series that have trackball problems instead of just letting users be inconvenienced when the trackball stops working again.
snakebite
My Device: Not Specified

Got my tour August 4th.  Horizontal scrolling didn't work out of the box.  Jaunted down to my local Verizon store and had it replaced.  This was within 5 hours of receiving the fedex package so the replacement wasn't that annoying as I didn't yet have any personal data on the handset.  Scrolling worked in all directions on the second handset and myself and the Verizon associate confirmed this before I left. 

It is August 26th and the horizontal scrolling has degraded to almost unusable.  Degradation began about 10 days ago.  I will be getting this replaced as well.  If the third handset continues this way, I will be asking for a refund.

New Contributor
yappcd

Well guys the second tour that was replaced about three weeks ago is now starting to have horizontal scroll issues.  Calling Sprint in the morning tomm to get this one replaced - again.......
New Contributor
jmedaglia

I just spoke to a Blackberry Technical Support agent who instructed me to reload the blackberry software. Has anyone tried this? If so did it correct the trackball issue? I'm presently waiting to receive Blackberry Tour #4 and I'm worried that I'm going to receive another defective unit. So if I do and a simple software reload is all that is necessary to correct the problem then I will be quite satisfied.
Contributor
mrosenbaum
My Device: 9650 (Bold) / VZW v5.0.0.699

Here is what I can add to your issue and question about OS and the Trackball issue:

(1) I just downloaded a version 5.0 OS and completely reloaded my second tour with same problem.  This had absolutely no positive effect on the trackball (no negative effects overall as well - FYI).  So I feel confident in saying reloading current OS or upgrade to solve this will not be worth your time.

(2) I spoke with RIM technical support who could not find any internal information about this issue, did not deny it, just was not aware.  They connected me back with Verizon Support.  Went through all the standard issues with (a) *228 <send> option 2, (b) battery pull (c) sensitivity settings (d) suggested a COMPLETE unit wipe and reload and that is when I upgraded to the 5.0 OS which did not help.  They did do more research and told me that new units manufactured AFTER August 21st should have the new trackball.  They could not confirm the GREEN sticker but the store did seem to be very aware of the use of the GREEN sticker for updated or modified phones in the field.

(3) I have now just ordered my third unit and here's hopping three is the charm!  I will post again when my unit arrives, if the box looks different and if it seems to work.  My last two seem to take between 1 1/2 weeks and 2 weeks to show up so might not be completely confirmed for a while.

Maurice

Maurice
New Contributor
jmedaglia

Good to know. Hopefully Blackberry sends me a unit that was manufactured after August 21st. I would hope they do seeing as Bell isn't shipping my defective Tour out to Blackberry until Monday.

Anyhow, thanks for the information. More than helpful!
Visitor
kerplunk

I just got off the phone with Verizon Blackberry technical support. After initially suggesting that the problem may be a sensitivity setting (I disabused them of this thought having read this forum first...) support rep. checked and said that indeed there is a known problem and that they have a new set of Tour's in which the problem has been corrected. I'm within the 30 day purchase window and so they were willing to do whatever I wanted (i.e. replace with another phone, replace with the same, etc.). I opted to get one of the Tours from the new manufacturing run which they offered to ship overnight. This is good, because at the rate the trackball functionality is deterioirating, it will be barely work by tomorrow when the new hardware arrives.
New Contributor
dogill

I am one of the Tour users since July 13th and have experienced erratic trackball issues since then (in addition to Bluetooth, signal and call volume issues).  Been waiting for the Firmware update.  Just had a discussion with a verizon tech support rep who was very helpful and knowledgeable.  I had talked to this rep before several years ago and he is one of the best I have dealt with.  He suggested to replace the Tour with one of the new ones they recently received, to resolve the trackball issue, as they were not certain the firmware update would suffice and exactly when the update would be available.