Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
Seattlenerd
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

Same problem as others.

Ordered a Blackberry Tour from Verizon in early August. By mid-August, less than 15 days later, the trackball was delaying on the right horizontal movement, and sometimes would go up, down, or even in the opposite direction when rolling horizontally. Went to a Verizon store -- thinking it was an isolated instance -- and replaced it.

The new Tour worked fine for just over a month, until last Saturday, when I started to have problems with the same delaying and accuracy issues with horizontal scrolling. I called Verizon support, and this time they told me it was a known issue, and for a "temporary fix" (their words) to adjust the sensitivity, and to go to the Verizon store for cleaning instructions and demonstration.

Unfortunately, yesterday I went to the store, and they knew nothing on cleaning the trackball. I did try the usual mild fixes others have recommended -- compressed air, and isopropyl alcohol on a Q-Tip, both with the Tour turned off -- but they did nothing.

So I suspect it'll be a new Tour for me. Temporarily I've adjusted the sensitivity and it's functional, but barely. I'm hoping RIM gets a fix for this soon. Just getting one that seems to work fine is no guarantee of further degradation, and the non-invasive cleaning methods just don't seem to work.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Krissydang

[ Edited ]

Not sure if someone's said this already because I'm not going to go through all the pages, but if you bought your Blackberry Tour 9630 from the store, you can get it replaced from the store if you go back within 30 days.  That's the obvious part.  I was two days over my return date when I figured out the problem wasn't just that I had to lightly roll the trackball (because that's what I thought--until I played with my husband's phone).  I could go through the whole story of what happened--but I'll just tell you the important part.  At the Sprint store they'd gotten an e-mail/memo that identified this issue.  They said that since I was passed my 30 days they wouldn't be able to give me a new phone, but could get me a refurbished phone-no charge since this was what the called a "known issue." I got my phone the next business day.  I think Sprint has excellent customer service.

So, I can't speak for Verizon, but if you're with Sprint you should be able to call them up right now & say you heard this was a known issue & that they're responsible to at least send you a refurbished one.  The refurbished ones are always great, even though they were used.  Mine looked better than my previous one did because I didn't have a case on it.  You won't have to pay--you don't even have to have insurance.  That's what the manager told me.  Their key words were "known issue," so I'd say to use it yourself.

If you got your phone unlocked & aren't on a CDMA network then you're pretty much SOL.  I'm sorry.  ;(  I apologize if I'm repeating information, like if someone's already solved this.  I registered just to post this.  (=

~*Krissy*~

Message Edited by Krissydang on 09-22-2009 11:26 PM
Please use plain text.
edlivian

[ Edited ]

I tried to verify the theory of the cache being active and messing with the trackball profiles.

So I used bbsak to do a low level wipe, and then I reloaded the os, and I still have the issue.

So this is not a software problems boys and girls, I called sprint and got a manager on the phone and is sending me two brand new tours to replace the two I hard problems with. This is 50 days after I received those devices. Before I used bbsak, I tried all the latest leaked os's and nothing solved the problems. The only theory that I might believe is that the hex screw behind the battery cover is overtightened. If someone can be kinds enough to loosen the screw on their defective trackball tour and see if this solves the problem. I would do it, but I dont own a hex screw.

So speak to a manager sometimes they are sympathetic, and the knowledgeable ones are aware of the issues. 

Message Edited by edlivian on 09-23-2009 03:05 PM
Please use plain text.
coolcharters

I'm new to Blackberry and posting - 20 pages of complaints about the track ball and nothing better than "have it replaced". Been there - done that several times. I knew I should have went with the I phone. Obviously RIM doesn't read these. So now I'm stuck with this POS - awesome.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Seattlenerd

Am now on my third Blackberry Tour. Exchanged it at a local Verizon Wireless store, after a call to the store in advance indicated there were none for overnight exchange "in the warehouse." The process was polite and flawless in person, though it sucked up a fair amount of time due to typical store waits (waited for 30 minutes for a 15 minute process).

I did receive a Tour with a green dot on the box (new Tour, not a refurb) and was told the green dot indicated the trackball had been thoroughly tested. The trackball actually looks slightly larger, but this may be my imagination inspired after too many trackball issues.

Interestingly, the manager at the Verizon Wireless store asked me if I might be interested in exchanging it for a Blackberry Curve instead. But it would have meant a difference in price, a lower-quality camera and screen, and a bit of hassle in working out all the details. However, I suspect it's a sign that he's as tired of the Tour problems as I am.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
yappcd

[ Edited ]
Had to go to Sprint on Thursday to get my tour replaced for the third time.  The first tour was replaced two weeks after I received it and the second one was replaced 7 weeks later.  I was definately outside of my thirty days.  Anyway, when I walked in they checked the phone and said this is a "known issue" and said that I would receive a phone within two days.  I figured they would send me a reconditioned phone but yesterday when I received the call that my phone was at the store to my surprise it was a brand new phone.  So far it works perfectly and I can definately tell you that I am  very happy with Sprint's service and their responsiveness.  Actually, as long as I have been a customer of Sprint I have always been happy with their service.  However, I am a bit disappointed with the quality of this RIM product but I do like the unit.  I don't understand all the difficulty people are having with Sprint but if you don't get anywhere with the store employees call the Retention department, they have the power to get things done.
Message Edited by yappcd on 09-26-2009 01:25 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
mrosenbaum
My Device: 9650 (Bold) / VZW v5.0.0.699

I am now almost two weeks with latest 9630 Tour and still working great, NO TRACKBALL issues now.  It did take three replacements to get here but it is so worth the swap out and returning of your unit until you a fixed one. 

As far as Blackberry's go, this is perhaps the best overall unit in the past 10 years and worth getting one that works correctly. 

Everything depends on the trackball working, just get a refurbed unit as I think you will have a higher chance of getting one that works instead of just new replacement.
Maurice
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aledc78
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

People keep complaining about the trackball even after more than a month that RIM acknowledged the issue and fixed it?

I truly dont get it... Yes, there was a hardware problem with the original trackball... but all Tours manufactured after August 25th have the trackball issue corrected.

This thread will die soon now that this issue should not be happening any more.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Seattlenerd

Assuming what you're saying is correct, perhaps there are still many pre-August 25 Tours still in warehouses and stores ... and those who bought them prior to that date are just now having problems.

And keep in mind that both Sprint and Verizon Wireless are now telling callers it's a "known problem" and to wait for a fix. That doesn't indicate there's an end to this just yet.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
staginglt

Been dealing with the trackball issue for awhile.  Now, 31 days out, I've discovered the dead sound issue, too.  A hard reboot fixed that (for how long?), but am ready for a phone that simlpy WORKS.  May go to the Verizon store tonight and see what they say.

They have lemon laws for automobiles...

Please use plain text.