Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Regular Contributor
TechBerry
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

not that i know of. the new ones just came out this week though
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
JStenq

I went back and forth trying to decide if I could live with the trackball that didn't always track.  After 31 days (I hadn't been counting) I called Sprint and they exchanged the phone under the 30 day policy.  They overnighted the phone and I am very pleased.  The trackball works like a charm.

I would not hesistate to trade the Tour in (over and over if necessary) to get the problem solved.  It really seems like a hardware issue, but if you put the trackball in "click" mode, the phone clicks when the icon does not, so maybe it is a software issue??  I wouldn't wait though.

Thanks to all the other posts.  This should be more public, and I agree that RIM should make a statement.  Sprint did a great job btw.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TechBerry

[ Edited ]

good point i mean it was paid for you are entitled to one that works. all I know is that RIM is aware and sending out replacement inventory I cannot speak for sprint but vzw they are in stores now

Message Edited by Jonathan_K on 08-20-2009 05:36 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbrookie
My Device: Blackberry Tour

Itried your test and discovered something interesting.  If I place my thumb flat on the track ball I get consistent results for up/down and left/right.  This with both set to 80.

Barry

Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbrookie

Here is what I learned about the menu button after pulling my hair out.  What I experienced was if I was in the browser and pressed the menu button the options like bookmark etc would not appear all of the time.  When I talked to VZ tech suport they said try quickly pressing the menu button and see if the option come up, bingo it worked.  Is this normal?

Barry

Please use plain text.
Contributor
colepitz

I contacted my Local VZW store and they said they had "no idea" of a restock of tours with the track balls fixed.  Can someone please tell me how to spot a GOOD working tour??  Some #'s or something?? i dunno
Please use plain text.
Contributor
aledc78
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

bbrookie wrote:

Here is what I learned about the menu button after pulling my hair out.  What I experienced was if I was in the browser and pressed the menu button the options like bookmark etc would not appear all of the time.  When I talked to VZ tech suport they said try quickly pressing the menu button and see if the option come up, bingo it worked.  Is this normal?

Barry

Dude! This is a trackball thread, not a browser thread. But to address your concern, yes, that's how it works. If the menu button is not quickly pressed, you will get the application switcher
Please use plain text.
Contributor
bbrookie

Thanks for the info, now I know my menu key is working correctly.  Now back on topic :smileyhappy:  there is a web site called Planetfeedback, it is for consumers to send feedback to a company, both compliments and complaints.  They ensure the feedback gets to the correct people at the company.  If all of the users here with the trackball problem would send feedback, BB would would get the message about the trackball problem users are having.  The company I worked for assumed for every complaint they received there were  ten other customers who were also dismayed but  did not take the time to complain.

FWIW I bought my BB Tour from VZ on 8/18 in Cincinnati, Ohio and the trackball works fine.  I guess time will tell if it starts to have problems.

Here is the web site.  http://www.planetfeedback.com

Please use plain text.
Visitor
Nanook77
My Device: Tour 9630

Solution.  Had same problem from day one.  Determined this was a not hardware nor software.  The mechanism in the trackball seems to have a "glaze" on the pickup mechanism.  This is what work for me.  !.  Pressed each side (top, bottom, left, right) of the trackball collar down with a small screwdriver while rolling the trackball.  Note that I pressed quite firmly on the trackball with my thumb while rolling it.  

Figured RIMM built trackball mechanism to last so pretended that I was "sanding" the glaze off the components.  After a couple of minutes of rolling the ball firm in all directions, turned phone over an tapped it in my hand.  Like knocking the sawdust out.

Has worked perfectly every since.

Hope this works for all listed here.   

Please use plain text.
Contributor
mrosenbaum
My Device: 9650 (Bold) / VZW v5.0.0.699

[ Edited ]

What if you are on your 2nd 9630 replacement for the Trackball lagging issue?  Each time it seems to start about 1 1/2 to 2 weeks of use, mostly LEFT to RIGHT and moving RIGHT seems to be worse than moving LEFT on both units.

Can the roller be cleaned like mouse rollers??

UPDATE:  I called Verizon - they looked it up and said KNOWN ISSUE.  Their first recommendation was a complete software backup and reload which I am quite dubious of doing as I don't believe this to be a software issue.  I am going to go by a Verizon store today and see if they can shed some light on this new model that is out and/or a cleaning method that does not void my warranty.  Will post if I get an update.

Message Edited by mrosenbaum on 08-22-2009 12:38 PM
Maurice
Please use plain text.