Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
Sepanian
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

A simple game of break-breaker will indicate whether you're still experiencing that problem or not.
New Contributor
sockeye

rest assure its a hardware issue which drove me insane and since I bought mine off ebay Verizon would not replace it......

Therefore I took it apart and put in my trackball from my blackberry curve8330 and my problem was solved!!!

It works like a charm and i'm finally able to enjoy brickbreaker!!!!!

Now im ordering a green trackball for it.....if you have the balls and are tech savy there is a youtube video which explains how to take it apart 

jpark1013

Same problem here. This is my second 9630. First one worked fine out of the box then started to lag. same story with second. Worked fine at first then started to become erractic.

Is RIM gonna do anything about this? or do i have to keep going back to verizon to get it replaced? 

Contributor
dresslerc

I recently upgraded to a BB Tour and have the same issue.  The device is brilliant other than the trackball (left/right movement).

I called Verizon about it and they said ALL devices have the issue and that RIM hasnt fixed it yet.  I would like to hear RIM confirming that it will be address before my 30-day return policy is over.

RIM?

Thanks

New Contributor
krider9876
My Device: Blackberry Tour

Verizon has been very good about this. I got my second BB Tour yesterday with no hassle at all. The new phone  worked fine out of the box, but now the horizontal scroll is starting to lag. I hope RIM does something about this.

---Ken

New Contributor
barryjkaufman

I also had lag issues with the trackball on my Tour. The sensitivity setting for the trackball default to 70, I increased it to 80 and its now working fine. 
New Contributor
dogill

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue - temporary Fix?

Here's temporary fix for the trackball issue I stumbled upon when composing an email. 

My trackball horizontal movement when composing messages is very erratic. Otherwise, it works fine in every other Tour application.

A Verizon tech support rep told me today RIM has recognized the trackball problem as a software issue and will be issuing a firmware update "any day" to fix the issue.  Was thinking about how to live with the issue until the update, and happened to hit the back button by accident when unsuccessfully trying to scroll horizontally through a message I was composing.  After I selected "cancel" to go back to composing the message, I noticed the trackball worked fine.  Now, whenever I need to scroll horizontally when composing or editing a message, I hit the back button first, then cancel, and it always works fine.  Certainly still a hassle and validates it is a software issue, but better than before.

Curious to see if this works for anyone else.

Contributor
aledc78
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

[ Edited ]

sockeye wrote:

rest assure its a hardware issue which drove me insane and since I bought mine off ebay Verizon would not replace it......

Therefore I took it apart and put in my trackball from my blackberry curve8330 and my problem was solved!!!

It works like a charm and i'm finally able to enjoy brickbreaker!!!!!

Now im ordering a green trackball for it.....if you have the balls and are tech savy there is a youtube video which explains how to take it apart 

sockeye, since you already changed the trackball. did you use the 8330 trackball casing (the one with the white rim or did you take the actual ball our of the casing and placed it in the Tour's to keep the chrome rim...

also, I know the trackball for the 8330 is the same as the 8830. How about the Bold's trackball, will that work too?

If you can post a picture!!

I definitely will like to do it... if I fine a see-through Blue trackball, that way when it lights up, it will glow in blue!

Thanks!!!

Message Edited by aledc78 on 08-06-2009 09:42 PM
New Contributor
Omnivita

Bought the Tour as my first blackberry from best buy. I'm also having the trackball problem after a few hours of use, and removing the battery once in an attempt to fix a stuck download at the myworld screen.
New Contributor
seahills

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue - temporary Fix?

Sorry to say I was not able to duplicate your success using this technique. Trackball was still as erratic as ever.