Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

Well if your tour has a lagging trackball call and get it swapped out
New Contributor

Here is my personal experience with the BlackBerry Tour - it's not pretty...

Before I purchased the Tour I did my homework and already knew some of the possible issues that the Tour was having, but I assumed they would be corrected before mine was shipped since I have never had a single issue with any BlackBerry I have owned. I have been a BlackBerry user from the PDA only days. Nonetheless, I purchased my first Tour on July 12 from Sprint Telesales and everything worked fine ( other than the poor signal all of a sudden which I posted here... http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=9630&view=by_date_ascending&message.i... ) for a little over a week. However, I started to notice the trackball had difficultly scrolling horizontally so of course I did a battery pull to see if this would correct the issue. It didn't work so I went ahead and checked the sensitivity settings and tried several different settings. At first it appeared to be a little better, but the next day it was right back to sluggish scrolling. I decided to order a replacement from Sprint and when it got here the first thing I noticed was that the screen resolution was yellowish. I probably would have never noticed this, but since I had my first Tour still on hand I put them side-by-side and the first Tour was a nice bluish-white color vs the dim yellowish color. It was not a brightness/contract setting or anything, btw. Therefore, I sent it back and asked for another. The next one I received had a problem right out of the box and would scroll really rough...like there was sand on the rollers. I ordered yet another Tour and that one worked well for about two weeks and the same issue started to occur. I repeated all the things I tried with the first Tour to resolve the issue and nothing worked. I even had 4 buddies test the scrolling against their BlackBerry (2 Bold, 1 Curve 8330, and 1 Curve 8900) just to make sure I was not losing my mind and every one of them were amazed at the poor scrolling - "shocked" is a better word. I actually tried one other thing just to see if it would work and that was to lock the phone, put pressure on the trackball, and move it around in circles/left/right/up/down for a few minutes to possibly loosen any dust, lint, or whatever. That actually made the trackball feel rough on scrolling, but actually improved the scroll so I kept the phone for about 4 days. Well, the trackball then started to scroll the opposite direction when I scrolled one way...i.e. scroll left and it would jump back right on occasion. I was about to dump the phone, but at this time Sprint had a soft launch so I decided to pick up a new Tour there and have them charge my account just so I could find a working Tour and not have to wait for replacement being shipped. Long story short...I have had to go to the Sprint store 4 times now to get a new Tour...last trip was a few hours ago. The Manager, lead, and sales guys that I spoke to all agreed that there is a serious problem. They admitted they have had almost 2 returns every day since they have sold the Tour in the Store. What's worse...the Tour on display does not scroll at all anymore and they actually repaired in 2 times in the last two weeks according to the tech I was talking to today. I came back home with the same Tour and it is horrible so I have no idea what the plan is at this point. I am beyond frustrated and really need to figure this out.

I don't know anymore...perhaps I use my BlackBerry too much and it can't handle the usage??? I mean, I admit I use it for just about everything, but I have always done it this way in the past. Let's see...I control my home alarm/lights/video cameras, garage door, work server, and home personal server on the Berry. I would estimate close to 45 BBMs daily, 10-15 SMS texts, and 40 or so emails, visual voicemail, not to mention social media, and the entertainment stuff I use it for. I don't put unnecessary pressure on the ball and even if I have to put pressure it still does not scroll correctly.

Earlier today I was given a cell phone number to someone at RIM that might have some information I needed. As I was typing this post I received a call back from this person and while he can't 100% confirm this, he did say...

"The trackball issue is more than likely a hardware issue - note software, although software does play a role in sensitivity, but either way it has been escalated to the higher department at RIM. They have been investigating it for weeks."

He also said... "I have not heard any connection issue problems such as 1XEV fluctuating to 1X, but will pass this information along. In the meantime, contact Sprint and get to the highest tier so they too can escalate this issue."

Lastly,... he said that from what he has been hearing... "OS 5.0 is slated for release by the end of the year. However, it could come out by the end of September or October, but don't quote me on those early months."

He went on to say "it's very possible that the connection issue can be resolved via a service pack of some sort until the OS is released."

These are quotes directly from our conversation so I thought they would answer some questions...

-SPOON
Regular Contributor

Mr1 update is avail thirty days after launch. So we all shall see
Contributor

Techberry you remind me of why we're a Verizon family and have been for many years. I returned my Tour yesterday. It was replaced with no questions asked and was told to bring it back again if I'm not happy. That plus the fact that when I call Verizon tech support I'm never on hold for more than 20 seconds max and get either an American or Canadian speaking real english who actually knows their stuff. Very very rarely I may get a level one tech person who is struggling a bit. Verizon is the most expensive cell phone company in the USA and **bleep** well worth it. And now with getting to add 10 phone lines that are free whether they are calling me or vice versa I'm not sure you're the most expensive anymore. And I get to change that list every day of the week. I know I sound like an advertisement but I've had Sprint and AT&T and they suck beyond belief. Horrible customer service. Anyway I can believe this is a software issue and your statement that some Tours were shipped with corrupted software actually makes sense to me. I've worked for a number of software companies and stuff happens. It isn't always easy to explain but it happens.
New Contributor

@dlbeck At this point both Sprint and Verizon users are a family trying to work together to resolve the same issue. Who cares who has better customer service...customer service gives *stock* answers no matter how you clice it and at the end of the day they will not be able to fix your trackball simply because their customer service is stellar. Just sayn'
Contributor

Relax dude. I feel your pain.
New Contributor

There is no way that this is a software issue.  I cannot believe that RIM release the same brand new device with software revisions that may work on one and not the other.  They just don't want it know that they have quality control issues.  My two cents.

[ Edited ]

RIM, if you're watching this, this is COMPLETELY unacceptable. I will start off by saying that the Tour is the best BlackBerry, and best phone, that I have ever owned. With the exception of the trackball. I paid for a device that I knew was going to work (because it was a BlackBerry) and I expect that I should get that. If this actually is a software problem, why isn't everyone experiencing it? I've seen 2 Tours side by side with identical software versions and one works and one does not. Why does it seem to get worse over time? Why hasn't RIM officially recognized this issue? If it's really a hardware issue, is the plan to try to cover it up with software? The point is, I (and I assume we) want answers! When will this software update be avaliable? In my opinion, this should have been released days ago.

-Danny

Message Edited by dgriffin on 08-14-2009 10:14 AM
New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

Already on my third Tour.  Went to sprint today because the trackball stop working and the order me another replacement.  They told me that they know the issue and even the sprint guys who buy the phone, were having the same problem.  They answer, "we are working with it!" .  Yeah Right! My 30 days is almost over, so if the 4th Tour doesn't work, next time I may received a refurbish one. Im not taking any more chances.  I will return my Tour tomorrow. Besides, every time I have to exchange mine, I have to wait and hour or more, because sprint first check the device, knowing the problem, a let one waiting and waiting just to say it will be replaced.  And now because I have exchange it two times, Sprint will only replaced it thru customer service, so I have to wait a few more days.  So screw it!

HEY RIM, let us hear you!  What is the problem and your solution?

Contributor
My Device: HTC EVO 4G

hopefully RIM/Sprint will let everyone with this problem, exchange it with the coming 9650... its basically the same Tour but with a trackpad instead of a trackball...