Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
misnomer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Tour 9630 Trackball issue

[ Edited ]

None of what I have read in this thread provides a solution (or any guarantee of a solution).  My provider is Sprint, and I am on my second Tour.  In addition to the horizontal trackball issue, I have noticed on both phones that pushing the menu button results in the applications switcher appearing intermitently.  It's equally annoying.

After countless hours on the phone with Sprint to get the first Tour, and then replace it with the second Tour, I'm about ready to abandon Blackberry/Sprint, and move to AT&T to get an iPhone.  I would suggest that RIM (who is reading) solve this manufacturer's defect immediately and communicate a solution.  As things stand, my prediction is that it is only a matter of time before this thread transforms into a class action lawsuit.

If anyone (preferably a RIM representative who will make a public statement) can concretely define the problem and provide an immediate solution, your assistance is welcomed.  Time is running out. 

Fondly,

misnomer

Message Edited by misnomer on 08-18-2009 06:29 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
krider9876
My Device: Blackberry Tour

I sent a fax to RIM Headquarters in Canada about this problem. It will be interesting to see if I get a response.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
barryjkaufman

I am one of the many who have endured hours of frustration dealing with the Tour. I replaced the phone 3 times in 2 weeks, and I can finally say that while not yet perfect, the phone is very usable. I also had trackball issues and went through 3 phones before I found one with a track ball that worked like it's suppose to. The Bluetooth is still a little weak, but usable. I won't use it with customers, but it's fine for friends and family. For business use I use a wired headset that filters all outside noise

The Verizon Navigator does not work with the wired headset. (It suppose to). But the sound does come over the speaker and is loud and clear. I'm not sure if it's a software issue or a jack issue. But I don't want to go through another phone setup so I'm just going to live with it

And for all of you complaining about the battery life, Amazon has a spare battery and charger package, which heavy users like me need.

While not perfect the Tour is a definite improvement over the  Curve I had prior to this phone. So I guess I'll just deal with it and hope that the software updates make this better

I did look at other phone, the IPhone and HTC ProTouch2 and they lacked the ability to look up a contact by first name, last name or company.  I'm sure there are third party programs that can do that  but it wasn't worth the time or money to look for them

I have my Tour and I'm sticking with it

Please use plain text.
Visitor
fiorinija

To all those who say that RIM is coming out with a software update to fix this issue, where is the info from? An official source? I can't seem to find anything on the site that says anything about a Tour software fix for the trackball..
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Trailler
My Device: Tour

Does one have to have their phone insured in order to get it replace for defective trackball?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
fegotay
My Device: Tour 9630

You got 30 days for an exchange, and also it got a 1 year warranty as I understand, but after the 30 days it will normally be a refurbish phone.  The insurance helps but you will have to pay for the exchange.  If your tour doesn't work, and you are still under the 30 days, just exchange it or return it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sockeye

[ Edited ]

its a hardware issue, I proved it once I changed the trackball. I had nothing to lose since I got my phone on ebay....so if you are waiting for a software update to fix it, good luck!! Once I put this blue trackball problem solved!...I'm finally able to play brickbreaker again

Message Edited by sockeye on 08-20-2009 02:25 PM
Please use plain text.
jpb39

FWIW, I have the dreaded horizontal trackball lag on a 2-day old 9630 with Verizon. I had a similar problem with a 8900, which got progressively worse until the trackball became unusable. By that time, I was past the 30-day return period, so I've been caught in an endless loop of 'spot the issue with the latest furbed unit' and still haven't got a usable replacement unit from o2. So, at any rate, in this case I called Verizon customer support immediately and the representative I reached acknowledged the trackball problem as a known issue, shipped out a replacement unit at once, and told me to hold onto the defective handset until the new one arrived. It's a real drag about the trackball, because the unit otherwise has the best build quality in any BlackBerry I've had since the 8700 (though it does run a bit hot).  But great customer service response on the part of Verizon, I have to say.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
TechBerry

VZW NOW HAS STOCK IN ALL OF THEIR STORES WITH 9630 TOURS WITH WORKING TRACKBALLS! IF YOU ARE OUT OF YOU 30DAYS JUST GO AND GET IT REPLACED THEY DO HAVE THEM NOW. JUST BEFORE YOU GO CALL AND MAKE SURE THAT THEY HAVE THE INV. BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL BE GOING TO GET THEM

socialberry.gif

Please use plain text.
themothman421

Well that's great news.  Is there any way to tell which Tours have the "good" trackball?  Part #s, anything?
Please use plain text.