Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
sirsly
My Device: Tour 9630

Tour with OS 5.0 Rebooting randomly

Does anyone know why all of a sudden, after upgrading to OS 5.0 my Tour randomly reboots itself?  I know that it has rebooted several times because everytime it does, I get a message saying that my device has registered with Blackberry Internet Service.  I had 9 e-mails in one day about that, telling me that it rebooted 9 times during the day.  It has rebooted twice alone within the past 10 minutes.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Tour with OS 5.0 Rebooting randomly

Hi there!

The symptom you describe (the registration message) does not necessarily indicate a reboot. While that is one of the possible reasons, it's not the only one (and, IMHO, is frankly unlikely). To know if it's truly rebooting, launch some add-on app that will remain running. If, when you next think it's rebooted, the app is not running, then it indeed rebooted...if that app is still running, then your BB did not reboot.

Those messages are coming from your carriers BIS service, resending your service books to you. You can initiate that process or they can. If you have not initiated it, then I'd contact them (your carrier) to find out if something with your BIS account (managed by them) is amiss.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
sirsly

Well, I know for a fact that it's rebooting because I watched it reboot several times today.  Once, right after I got off of a call.  Another time as soon as I took it out of the holster.  Today alone I observed it rebooting 5 times within an hour for no apparent reason.  I seem to notice it whenever I do something with it (not always, but quite often).  When I took it out of the holster twice today, it rebooted.  As soon as I hung up on a call today, it rebooted.  Now, at night when it's just sitting on my desk, nothing happens.  But during the day, it happens quite a bit.  And of course, after each reboot, I get the registration e-mail.  So whether or not the registration e-mails are being sent because of a reboot or not is really not the issue.  The issue is that it's rebooting quite frequently and it's quite annoying.  If it only took 3 seconds to reboot, I wouldn't be worried about it.  But because a reboot takes several minutes, it becomes quite annoying because now I have to wait until it's finished to do whatever it was I was going to do!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

OK...well those symptoms are vastly different than you first described. Sorry, my clairvoyance app was on the fritz... I suggest you take it in for warranty evaluation.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
sirsly

Well, I haven't figured out why I'm having the problem, but I have been able to figure out what's triggering the random reboots.  It seems that any slight bump to the phone is causing it to go into "reset" mode.  Very annoying!!  I was on a phone call and I must have bumped the phone against my ear to hard and it rebooted, thereby dropping my call.  I had to wait 10 minutes before I could even call the person back to explain what happened.

rloveman

Mine started doing the same thing, although not as often, as soon I installed OS 5.0. Yesterday it did it while I was reading an ebook. I put it down for a few seconds, and next thing I knew, it was rebooting and I got that same message. This never happened before the new OS, so I assume it's somehow related.

New Contributor
samuelsoh
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630

I have the same problem. But I tried disabled MDS in Browser Push setting and now it didn't reboot. At least for the past 3 days. Hope this will fix the problem for you.

New Contributor
smileystar78
My Device: Not Specified

Mine does the same annoying **bleep** - right after the OS upgrade.  Reboots at the most inopportune times....looking up mapping directions on the way somewhere  - reboots.  Waiting for a friend to call to let you know they've arrived to pick you up - reboots.  Need to call someone - reboots. 

I will try what's suggested above and hope it works.  I've about had it with blackberry and it's bugs though. I'm ready to switch to an Andriod.

johneev
My Device: Blackberry 8230

Hey how do you do a new post. I'm trying to figure out how to send a pic with a SMS

Johnny

myelo1023
My Device: 9630

sirsly wrote:

Well, I haven't figured out why I'm having the problem, but I have been able to figure out what's triggering the random reboots.  It seems that any slight bump to the phone is causing it to go into "reset" mode.  Very annoying!!  I was on a phone call and I must have bumped the phone against my ear to hard and it rebooted, thereby dropping my call.  I had to wait 10 minutes before I could even call the person back to explain what happened.

Sirsly, did you ever figure out how to fix this? This is EXACTLY what mine does and it is my second unit. Both of them reboot even when just setting it down on the desk. that tiny little "bump" causes it to reset.  It is SOOoo frustrating. I have to handle it like an egg!