Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
green2bb
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: none

Using a 9630 in different countries

I have a hand me down 9630 Tour. No carrier currently but it has been unlocked. I will be in India for one month. Previous posts indicate a local SIM card will enable phone calls but internet will not be available without a data plan. Can someone confirm? 

Also, I assume there are various SIM cards sold, any suggestions on best type.

If the only way to get internet is via a data plan, any suggestions for a one month term?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Using a 9630 in different countries

Hey green2bb,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

Thanks for the question.

A data plan is required to browse and use some applications.

You can place a SIM card in the BlackBerry Tour 9630 smartphone and you'll still be able to send and receive SMS messages and make phone calls.

For data plan prices I suggest contacting your network service provider.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
green2bb

Hi ViciousFerrett,

Thanks for your advice. 

I contacted Verizon and costs for a data plan were prohibitive given I only needed it for one month abroad. So I follow your idea of just getting a local SIM card and using phone and SMS message service.

I already had phone unlocked and Verizon rep told me that I should switch settings on phone to GSM (even though I may be in a country that uses CDMA) because, otherwise the phone will roam to Verizon's local CDMA carrier in that country rather than the carrier on the local SIM card.  I thought that was interesting and possibly less costly usage option. I had read through many of the blogs on this community forum on the 9630 and don't recall that suggestion.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Technical Advisor (Retired)
ViciousFerret
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hi green2bb,

Just to add to my reply.  You can use a local SIM card and some might have a BlackBerry data plan attached to them.  

The verizon representative is definitely correct, with each SIM card you can get the APN settings and change the Mobile Network to connect to a GSM network.

Let me know if anything else comes up.

Cheers.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
green2bb

Hi Vicious Ferrett,

Thanks for your note. I may not have been clear in my previous note, the Verizon rep. said both US and India use CDMA, so no change to network settings is required. However, being helpful, she suggested to avoid potential roaming charges  to a Verizon affiliated carrier, I should change settings to GSM. This will keep calls within my local SIM's network.

I also browsed the 9630 Tour blogs and found a couple from India. Though from 2012 I sent them a "reply" to inquire if they resolved their connectivity issues and had suggestions on the best SIM carrier.

Thanks again for your advice.

Please use plain text.