Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
anair
My Device: Not Specified

Viewing HTML Emails

When I view emails sent to my exchange server, and routed using the BES server, they don't seem to view correctly if the email has HTML  For example, if the email has a table that fits on my laptop screen, the table becomes compressed on my blackberry.  Columns wrap around, and data is unreadable. 

If I view a table in my blackberry browser, it displays correctly.  It seems like it's just when it's in an email.

Anyone else have this issue, or know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance.  

Please use plain text.
mdisher

Re: Viewing HTML Emails

I have the same issue...

BES Professional 4.1.6.22  (Enterprise with less than 15 licenses)

Our 8830's with 4.5 are getting nice HTML emails but my new 9630 (Tour) does not.

I've resent the service books.  The only thing I haven't done is delete the account and recreate it.   Not 100% sure I want to do that yet.

Suggestions?

Please use plain text.
mdisher

Update...

I deleted my user account and recreated/re-initialized, same results...

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
anair

[ Edited ]

I've tried it all.  Deleted my account, reactivated the account, wiped my blackberry. 

I am running BES 5.0 with the first service pack

Really sucks that this does not work.

Message Edited by anair on 07-30-2009 03:07 PM
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
anair

Bottom line.  I don't think HTML emails work on the blackberry.  Regardless of what RIM says.  It downloads pictures, but the email looks nothing like it should. 

Not sure there is a fix to this other than using a different device (see iPhone)

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi there!

I've been watching your thread and seeing your troubles...but I only have one thought...on the BB itself, is HTML enabled in the Messages > BBKey > Options > Email Settings. I'm sure you've checked that, but just to be thorough...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
anair

Tried that, and it is setup propery.  Still does not work. 

Talking to RIM it appears that by HTML email they mean they download pictures.  They don't support the format.  So if you formatted email, it's not going to look right. 

I was really looking forward to this to help with several issues here.  Love the BES server and what BB does, but this is a real show stopper for us.  

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
anair

Ok, here's the info from blackberry support. 

The Blackberry Tour (and all other Blackberrys) support HTML emails, but not HTML formats.  Otherwise known as they don't really support HTML emails.  All devices will download pictures, but will not retain the format.  Thus making the HTML email pointless.  

As I pointed out to the support guy, that's like saying you have a phone but you didn't put a microphone on it.  Sure you can get a call, you just can't talk to anyone.  I guess you could still call it a phone, just not a good one.  

Not sure there is a solution, but that's the answer.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

anair wrote:

Ok, here's the info from blackberry support. 

The Blackberry Tour (and all other Blackberrys) support HTML emails, but not HTML formats.  Otherwise known as they don't really support HTML emails.  All devices will download pictures, but will not retain the format.  Thus making the HTML email pointless.  

As I pointed out to the support guy, that's like saying you have a phone but you didn't put a microphone on it.  Sure you can get a call, you just can't talk to anyone.  I guess you could still call it a phone, just not a good one.  

Not sure there is a solution, but that's the answer.

What does not make sense is that your other BB's display it fine...but it's just the Tour's. The response you got from RIM sounds like it would apply to all BB's...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
anair

I have not tried this on other blackberrys.  The other poster said he was able to on the 8830.  I only have two Tours, 15 World Edition, and 30 8703e's 

All the others state they can't view HTML email.  In reality I guess none of them can really view HTML email's.  The Tour can download pictures.  

Please use plain text.