Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
Jaroam
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Wireless updates

There has to be a way to stop the automatic wireless updates!  Long story short, as it was the topic of another post, I inititated an update on my BB Tour, Sprint, from 4.whatever to 5.whatever.  Had no clue it was a big update and it basically wiped my phone clean.  Not happy.  My fault.  Fine.  Seems to be the way to go about doing things is to update via a PC along with backups so you don't lose anything, yadda yadda.  I dig.  But, uh, how I'm I suppose to go about doing that when my phone is now updating on its own, like, once a day.  I ask you!  And each time it does, I have to redo all my settings.  Argh!  So, yeah, anyway to stop the madness?  Thanks!  Oh, as an aside, now 'Word Mole' doesn't recognize "Zit" as a word when it did previously.  Really?!  

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Wireless updates

The BlackBerry won't perform any upgrades to which you don't first click to agree. Don't agree and don't proceed.

Do a backup of your BlackBerry using the BlackBerry Desktop Software before any upgrade.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaroam

Okay, so if that's true, then what's happening?  Here's the scenario:  I'll glance down at my phone and notice 'Black Berry'  and a progression bar filling up.  While this is happening, I can't do anything with my phone.  Once the bar fills, the phone reboots.  Once it does, my theme needs to be reset, my paused games are reset to the beginning, the phone asks me if I want to go through the 'setup wizard'...  This whole process takes about, I think, 5 minutes or so.  Any clue what's going on?    

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,925
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like some wireless upgrade to me!

Did you ever complete and finish the initial wireless upgrade?

What is your Operating System loaded to your device? Look at Options > > Device > About, third line down beginning with a "v.6.0.x.xxx", What is yours?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaroam

Sorry it took so long to reply.  Right now the phone reads:  v5.0.0.983

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaroam

So, finally did an update via PC instead of OTA to see if that would stop the continued "automatic update madness" that my phone kept going through since my last OTA update.  It is now:  v5.0.0.1030 (Bundle 1675, Platform 4.2.0.451).  As of the last 24 hours the phone has not done an automatic update or whatever it was doing, however, it still freezes for a couple seconds every now and then.  Funny thing, none of this was happening when I was still in the v4.whatever zone.  And, even with, what I suppose was a small update to my last, the phone still asks me to set the language and such - and I keep having to redo my phone's settings like theme and such - after each update .  Very annoying.  Got anything for me?  Thanks! 

Please use plain text.