Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
dmrincon
My Device: Tour
Accepted Solution

XP Pro on computer won't open Blackberry Desktop software

I have been unable to synch my BlackberryTour with Outlook 2010. We run XP Pro as an operating system on the computer in question. Various versions of the Blackberry Desktop software haven't helped. Either they will open the BB Desktop Software (Version 5.0) but won't synch to Outlook 2010, or the BB software loads apparently successfully, but won't open on the computer (Version 7.1). My husband says he tried all the BB desktop versions in between unsuccessfully. Any ideas of what to try?

Please use plain text.
Retired
Cpt_Sweatpants
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: XP Pro on computer won't open Blackberry Desktop software

Hi dmrincon,

To clarify, are you unable to launch the BlackBerry® Desktop Software or does it launch and you are just not able to sync?

Thanks.

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dmrincon
My Device: Tour

Re: XP Pro on computer won't open Blackberry Desktop software

Well,  my problem is solved, thanks to Blackberry phone support Saturday evening. I finally gave up trying on my own and called Verizon, and they hooked me up with Blackberry support, and the wonderful technician found my problem.

Upon checking the specs more carefully, I had already realized that although the original desktop software that came with my Tour would open on my desktop, it is not compatible with Outlook 2010. So, that was never going to work for synching. Therefore, I uninstalled and deleted that software version (5.0, I think?) from my computer.

Again, I downloaded the Blackberry 7.1 Desktop software, and again, it simply would not open on my desktop. (I went through the process of downloading, installing, uninstalling and deleting, and re-installing at least three times). It would always give me a "successfully installed" message. But when I clicked on the desktop icon, it would show the little hourglass icon for a split second, and then, nothing more happened.

When I got on the phone with the Blackberry tech representative, she was wonderful. We set up a "meeting" so that she could see my computer screen along with me. She had me uninstall the version 7.1 again, and re-download it and re-install it so she could be sure that it was done correctly, but of course we got the same result that I had been getting--it would not open.

We looked around at a few things, and then she had me click on "Properties" of the Blackberry 7.1 Desktop software (I think that is where we were) and wouldn't you know, somehow or another a checkbox was marked for running the software in a "Windows 95 compatibility mode". Obviously WE had not checked that box, as we had just re-downloaded and installed the software.  So we unchecked the box, and then the Desktop software opened immediately and perfectly and I was able to synch with Outlook 2010. How strange is that?

I had decided that the problem HAD to be something like a setting, because I was doing everything correctly to download and install the software, and Blackberry says it is compatible with Outlook 2010 and XP Pro, so it SHOULD have been working. But I had no idea where to look for an incorrect setting, and didn't think I'd know it if I saw it, necessarily.

So cheers for the technician at Blackberry phone support, and thank you, too, for your reply.

Diana Rincon

Please use plain text.