Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
Frankenstien
My Device: Tour 9630, Storm 9530 (as MP3 playback device only)
Accepted Solution

dSimple 4-digit Password not being recognized & observed Security Timeout setting not re-setting my Retry Attempts

[ Edited ]

Hey all ... I retired my Storm 9530 some time ago (my fingers are too big for the touchscreen and BB's key touch confirmation system of the key glowing blue is lost under my porkers, so, needless to say, I didn't have much success with the Storm) and today activated (on TELUS Mobility) a Tour 9630 I got from a friend as a cast-off ... I have set a simple 4-digit password twice now and have twice Wiped the phone because it won't recognize the password I have carefully keyed in each time.  Frustrating!

Both times I had the Number of Password Attempts set to 3, the second time, I deliberately set the Security Timeout setting to 1 minute ... thinking that if I waited out one or two bad password entry attempts (in case it was me fat-fingering the entry somehow), the attempt count would at least reset to 3 again ... it seemingly does not, so, I'm not sure what the purpose of that feature is for - FFF 0558PST27NOV12 edit - OK, Security Timeout is how long a period of inactivity to allow before auto-locking the device.

I have searched 'lock' here and came across a Reply to a Thread Post that describes paying careful attention to the key modifier(s) used when establishing the password ... I can only think of two ways to enter digits: using the 'alt' key and then the appropriate digit keys, or, using the 'sym' key and scrolling to the appropriate digits, one by one ... however, now, during my third password creation session on the freshly wiped phone, I realize that because the entered password characters are masked, I may have simply been keying in letters instead of numbers all along, probably a capital letter followed by three lowercase letters - does this sound likely?  I can't believe this has not come up many times here - FFF 0558PST27NOV12 edit - OK, I have determined that the characters all went in as letters and must have all been lower case, based on PC-connected password GUI unlock of device success.

Anyways, this scorched earth policy of wiping my device every time I get the password wrong (somehow) seems harsh ... I'd like to have simple locking security on the device, but not at the risk of it being wiped so arbitrarily ... if I were to lose it and someone dishonest found it, chances are they would just wipe it and get it activated themselves, or, if they were honest but curious, I'd get it back ... wiped.

Is there any other way to lock and unlock the phone w/o enabling the draconian security wipe measure?

Thanks, FFF

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: dSimple 4-digit Password not being recognized & observed Security Timeout setting not re-setting my Retry Attempts

Hello,

It is excellent that you have discovered, by searching this site, the solution to your password entry troubles. Well done!

As for your desire for a less drastic locking capability...that would require a separate app to do so (I do not know if such exist). After all, BBs are the most secure mobile devices available...lessening the capability of the device lock function would reduce the overall security of the device.

IMHO -- the device itself is a mere commodity. The data on it, however, is priceless...and protecting that data from prying eyes is critical to keeping the device secure. Fortunately, RIM provides multiple FREE methods to back up your data for use in restore after any catastrophic event. All BB users should be using those methods.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Visitor
janimcdo
My Device: Curve 9300

Re: dSimple 4-digit Password not being recognized & observed Security Timeout setting not re-setting my Retry Attempts

9630, on ROgers. Password - simple 4 digit, worked in the am, would not work in the pm. On the 4th of 6 attempts, it actually showed the numbers. They were as they should be - still said password was incorrect. Had to reset. Mercury is in retrograde and a full moon up there but come on.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

janimcdo wrote:

9630, on ROgers. Password - simple 4 digit, worked in the am, would not work in the pm. On the 4th of 6 attempts, it actually showed the numbers. They were as they should be - still said password was incorrect. Had to reset. Mercury is in retrograde and a full moon up there but come on.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Password entry, when containing numbers or symbols, can be tricky...I've no idea why it worked for you at one point and failed later on. Typically, it's a matter of the careful manner in which such passwords must be entered. For instance, if your password is

• ab123

and you enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > 2 > 3

the actual result will be

• ab1er

You must enter

• a > b > ALT > 1 > ALT > 2 > ALT > 3

in order to wind up with ab123. So, in this example, while on the BB keyboard you think you are typing ab123, you are actually typing ab1er.

In any event, from your post, I cannot tell if you proceeded through all 10 attempts and your BB wiped, or if you remain looking for assistance...

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Frankenstien
My Device: Tour 9630, Storm 9530 (as MP3 playback device only)

Re: Simple 4-digit Password not being recognized & observed Security Timeout setting not re-setting my Retry Attempts

[ Edited ]

sdgardne ... I see you're OK with janimcdo horning in on my thread (it is pretty much the same topic) ... I myself don't mind ... anyways, I'm good on this particular topic now, and, understand my security options better going forward thanks to you ... I will give you a couple of 'Like's and promote your contributions to this thread as solutions.

Thanks again, FFF

P.S.  I have some other unrelated Q.'s about this Tour and will search the issues here at the forums, then, likely, post two new threads ... the duplication of a Company Contact for a different person (only minor changes required - which the BB Tour's Help function does not address), and, practical experience-oriented recommended device (f/w? /) s/w version(s) for all PC-centric activities, including the PC-resident s/w(s) & USB / USB Serial drivers (on XP Pro SP3).

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Re: Simple 4-digit Password not being recognized & observed Security Timeout setting not re-setting my Retry Attempts

Frankenstien wrote:

sdgardne ... I see you're OK with janimcdo horning in on my thread (it is pretty much the same topic) ... I myself don't mind ... 

Since I have zero control over where someone posts, I likewise have zero judgment on the matter. I will, on occasion, ask the mods to split a post off if the new post is "hijacking" the thread far from it's intended topic. But this site is not like a  formal "trouble ticket" system where there would, for proper tracking, need to be only one thread per issue.

I'm glad you got a resolution and I look forward to seeing your posts on new issues!

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.