Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberrt curve

keypad is stuck

Hi,

Suddenly, when I type in my password in order to gain access to my phone ... I see extras stars appear when I type in the characters to my password. So I try to backspace .. and the backspace key stroke itself creates stars .. as if I am typing in a character.

So then I try every key on the keypad -  trying to break this. The center ENTER key seems frozen because it will not take any entries. So I fumble around pressing any key trying to get pass this until finally the enter key does work. So then I try entering my password again ... only the repeat more of the above the extra *'s so that password with fail too.

Try this several times until the password fails 5 times. Again, the password fails to be accepted because the stars repeat themselves. In other words, if for the password, I type in A B .... instead of two * 's ... I see 3 or 4 *'s so them so I know something is wrong with the with the keys if extra *'s appear.

Okay, so now I am at 5 failed password entries and now it asks me to enter the word 'blackberry' .  However, when I enter the 'a' in blackberry .. I see the characters Uo appears. I try again and again .. the other keys seem, to work, but the 'a' key displays Uo. So I cannot enter the word 'blackberry'.  :smileysad:

During this process I have removed the back and battery and restarted the blackberry .. but still the keypad is sick. :smileysad:

Please help.

Becky

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: keypad is stuck

Hello!

What you describe sounds very much like moisture damage...if that is at all possible, then

REMOVE YOUR BB BATTERY NOW!!!

Run, don't walk, to this FAQ:

Do everything it says, including waiting the maximum recommended time (perhaps longer...perhaps 5 days). Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

If that is not at all possible, then something physical seems to be wrong with your keyboard...but, as a hardware level issue, it's rather impossible to diagnose any deeper nor provide any software/OS fixes that can help. Only in-hand evaluation by a qualified hardware technician can provide you a proper diagnosis and estimate. If you remain in your warranty, you should seek support via that. If not, then you'd find a local (to you) shop with a qualified BB technician to give you a proper evaluation and estimate.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code