Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Tour™

Contributor
Frankenstien
My Device: Tour 9630, Storm 9530 (as MP3 playback device only)
Accepted Solution

need a PDF viewer - how to get premium version of the ToGo apps when I don't have a TELUS data plan

Hey all ...

Is there a way to download and install a premium version of the ToGo apps (or just the PDF Viewer component - I searched the latter term and found one relevant thread wherein sdgardne had made reference to the premium ToGo apps) on my device from an installation executable within the Windows environment?

Or at least get the necessary file onto the device via Windows?

Thanks, FFF

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: need a PDF viewer - how to get premium version of the ToGo apps when I don't have a TELUS data plan

Hello,

Well, one way would of course be to pay for the premium level of the ToGo apps...you are asking for "premium" service, and such is rarely free. You can read about the methods here:

If your BB is adequate to accept an OS 7 version, then that includes the full Premium ToGo apps. You have to do some tricks to install it, given that you have no data plan, but it can be done. I suspect, though, that your BB is too old for OS 7, so that only leaves the "you pay for it" method.

There may well be other paid apps to do what you desire...you should, of course, research the available options and make the choice that best fits your needs.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
Frankenstien

Re: need a PDF viewer - how to get premium version of the ToGo apps when I don't have a TELUS data plan

sdgardne ... you are indeed a real asset to these forums ... thanks for stepping up yet again ...

I have checked the available OS's for the TELUS Tour 9630 through the BB / TELUS s/w portal and only two are available:

9630AMEA_PBr4.7.1_rel77_PL4.1.0.40_A4.7.1.40_Telus_Mobility.exe

and

9630AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel674_PL4.2.0.179_A5.0.0.419_Telus_Mobility.exe (currently installed)

As to whether my BB is 'adequate' to accept an OS 7 version, I have no idea ... how would I determine this?

And, presumably, if deemed 'adequate', I would be installing a non-native carrier's OS version, ie. Verizon or whomever.  Not knowing the operational impact of that sort of divergence from the TELUS packaged OS, what sort of issues might I expect, if any?

Also, what sort of tricks ("to install it, given that you have no data plan") are you referring to?

Perhaps it might be easier to just bite the bullet and pay for the premium level of the ToGo apps (US$14.99), or, one of the other top-rated apps: RepliGo Reader (US$14.99, rated higher than Documents To Go Premium), BeamReader PDF Viewer with File Manager (US$9.99) or Pdf Reader (Sporadic Software, US$0.99).

Thoughts?

Thanks, FFF

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Frankenstien wrote:

I have checked the available OS's for the TELUS Tour 9630 through the BB / TELUS s/w portal and only two are available:

9630AMEA_PBr4.7.1_rel77_PL4.1.0.40_A4.7.1.40_Telus_Mobility.exe

and

9630AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel674_PL4.2.0.179_A5.0.0.419_Telus_Mobility.exe (currently installed)

Yup...those are what Telus has available, neither of which include the PDF component of the ToGo apps.

Frankenstien wrote:

As to whether my BB is 'adequate' to accept an OS 7 version, I have no idea ... how would I determine this?

Somewhere, I think there was a press release or something as to the models that would be adequate for OS7. But it will take you some time to dig through all of that, and I frankly don't recall the specifics. If I had to guess, however, I'd deduce that your BB model is quite old...given that it remains with a 4.x OS level available, which has not been around for many years.

To truly determine what OS levels are available, one must dig through the official download portal:

Given that the carriers are responsible for release of the OS to their end users, that portal is indeed sorted first by carrier...so you have to dig into each, determine which support your specific model, and then compare the OS levels they support (using the "A" component of the filename...as in, the first one you mentioned from Telus is OS 4.7.1.40 and the 2nd is OS 5.0.0.419).

Frankenstien wrote:

And, presumably, if deemed 'adequate', I would be installing a non-native carrier's OS version, ie. Verizon or whomever.  Not knowing the operational impact of that sort of divergence from the TELUS packaged OS, what sort of issues might I expect, if any?

None...the core OS is from RIM, with mere "wrappers" provided by the carriers (e.g., those pesky "teaser" icons to install apps specific to the carrier).

Frankenstien wrote:

Also, what sort of tricks ("to install it, given that you have no data plan") are you referring to?

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Sequester your PC from the internet...remove the data cable, shut of it's WiFi, whatever you must do to completely prevent the PC from accessing the Internet. If it can access the Internet, it will attempt to check with your carrier to see if you have a data plan...and if you do not, it will likely forbid you from installing the newer OS levels as many of them require subscription to an adequate data plan from a carrier. But this "trick" can overcome that situation.

• Note that, if you've never before run the Desktop Software on this computer, you will need to allow Internet access for a first run...if such is the case, do not disconnect the PC from the Internet and do not connect the BB to the PC, but just run the Desktop Software once, shut it down, and then proceed from here (removing Internet access from the PC).

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Frankenstien wrote:

Perhaps it might be easier to just bite the bullet and pay for the premium level of the ToGo apps (US$14.99), or, one of the other top-rated apps: RepliGo Reader (US$14.99, rated higher than Documents To Go Premium), BeamReader PDF Viewer with File Manager (US$9.99) or Pdf Reader (Sporadic Software, US$0.99).

Quite likely your best bet...if I had to guess, I'd surmise that your BB is just too old for OS7, which will mean that, even after you spend the time digging through the download portal, you will find no OS package suitable to your needs. (You may, though, find an OS package that is slightly newer than what you are presently operating...and there could be some benefit there.)

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Frankenstien

sdgardne ... Wow!  You put a lot of effort into that post ... thank you, I do appreciate it.

I have twice now seen you refer to installing a BB OS to a desktop / laptop PC ... in the context of this thread, you actually advise to uninstall it before proceeding with the rest of the procedure starting at "The simplest way is to, on a PC ... "

Now,  I know you are not talking about BB USB and Modem Drivers, BB Device Manager or BB Desktop Manager software ... rather, the BB OS software, in my case,

'9630AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel674_PL4.2.0.179_A5.0.0.419_Telus_Mobility.exe'

What puzzles me is how one can install a device OS package to a desktop or laptop PC ...

I have the the two BB OS packages (referenced earlier) stored in download directories, however, I think you are talking about an actual program install (ie. through the XP 'Add or Remove Programs' utility) to Windows ... I don't believe I have ever done / tried this and am puzzled as to how this could / would work ... I do remember you telling me that said install would customize the BB Desktop Manager user interface specific to the device.

Would you mind elaborating on the latter  ... a little ... please?

Thank you, FFF

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Frankenstien wrote:

I have twice now seen you refer to installing a BB OS to a desktop / laptop PC ... in the context of this thread, you actually advise to uninstall it before proceeding with the rest of the procedure starting at "The simplest way is to, on a PC ... "

Nope...what I mean is that you need 2 things installed to your PC...the Desktop Software AND the BB OS Package you wish to install to your BB. Further, you must have only one of those BB OS packages installed to your PC...having more than one can cause confusion for the Desktop Software. So, step 1 is simply ensuring that you will have only one BB OS package installed to your PC. If you already have the Desktop Software AND the BB OS Package installed to your PC, and you also have only one BB OS package installed to your PC, then you could I suppose skip directly to step 4 (or 5, depending on your circumstances).

Frankenstien wrote:

What puzzles me is how one can install a device OS package to a desktop or laptop PC ...

When you navigate the official download portal, you will discover that the BB OS packages are .exe files...which are intended for installation to the PC and, in and of themselves, are completely useless to the BB in their native .exe format. Installing them to the PC transforms them into something that the Desktop Software can use to install to the BB via the process outlined.

Frankenstien wrote:

I have the the two BB OS packages (referenced earlier) stored in download directories, however, I think you are talking about an actual program install (ie. through the XP 'Add or Remove Programs' utility) to Windows ... I don't believe I have ever done / tried this and am puzzled as to how this could / would work ... I do remember you telling me that said install would customize the BB Desktop Manager user interface specific to the device.

You are correct that having the .exe files stored on your PC is irrelevant...the Desktop Software cannot use them (nor can any of the other methods...there are more than one, but I'm giving you what I consider to be the simplest process). In this state, they are just files on your PC, and can only be used by things that can use them...which, in this case, is only the Windows Installer process of installing to the PC, just like any other .exe you may download for installation to your PC. Installing an exe to your computer is a simple matter of navigating, via Windows Explorer/File Manager, to it and double clicking it.

If you already have the OS package you desire (for the purposes we are discussing, btw, neither of those will be useful as they are OS4 and OS5, neither of which contain the PDF component of the ToGo apps), then you are good to go. Please do follow each step though, just in case you may have at one time or another installed to your PC a BB OS package...remember, only one should be installed to the PC (after the Desktop Software of course, those steps are intended to be conducted in order).

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Frankenstien

[ Edited ]

OK ... fair enough ... thanks again for all the help eh? ...

Let me do the legwork of comparing each carrier's available OS versions for my specific device and see what I can come up with ... even if I do go the paid app route, I want to take full advantage of the learning opportunity you have laid out for me ...

FFF

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!!

BTW -- given your actual issue, marking this thread as "Solved" may be premature, though...but it is your choice.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
Frankenstien

Oops ... you beat me to my edit of my previous post ... anyways, while we're at it here ... can you think of a way to capture on my PC (in a useful format) an app that is provided in the form of a hyperlink meant to be clicked on directly from the smartphone?

ie. http://www.mobyware.net/get-software-181146.html

Hyperlink auto-generated from: http://www.mobyware.net/blackberry-tour-9630-rim-niagara-device-944/business-profession-tag/qpdf-vie...

Thanks, FFF

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ummm...an app that is a hyperlink? Maybe I don't understand (and the "ie" link you provided goes nowhere). Are you looking for a way to create a file, on the PC, that contains a URL link that you can transfer to and use on your BB? If so, I've not heard of one...nor have needed one, so have never searched for such.

One option might be an alternate BB Browser...Opera exists for both BB and PC, so maybe they have a method to synchronize bookmarks between them? Many browsers are now supporting replicating bookmark links (and other things) between different instances of the browser -- Chrome does so across multiple computers, as long as they are all logged into the same Google account. I've never tried to do anything similar between PC and BB, but perhaps that's an avenue for you to try out.

I suppose that you also could simply email the link from your PC to an account you have integrated to the BB....

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates