Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Alert Users Before Sending Email to External Recipients

Goldman Sachs has a setting on their blackberry devices that alert users whenever an email is being sent to external addresses outside of the firm.  Basically, the user types the email, hits 'send' and the device pops an alert stating that "'you are about to send an email outside of the firm. Do you want to continue?"  And there is a Yes and No option.  Selecting Yes, sends the message.  Selecting No, returns the user back to the unsent message.

Does anyone know how to replicate this feature despite the fact that it would be incredibly annoying!?

Thanks

Andrew

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Alert Users Before Sending Email to External Recipients

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forums!

This kind of functionality can be accomplished using BlackBerry Balance:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2011/05/introducing-blackberry-balance/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dEKylXkuRk

Or a custom Java application. For the latter you can take a look at the SendListener class which gets called before a message gets sent and allows you to perform some actions on the message then decide if it should send or not. Note that you should not perform any blocking operations in the SendListener#sendMessage() method as this can block the Messages application.

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Garett,

Thanks for alerting me to Blackberry Balance. We'll investigate as it sounds like this could solve several issue we're facing around corporate security.

I think the java application you mention is likely to be the solution to the immediate issue we're facing posed in the original question. This sounds simple for someone that knows what they are doing. Do you have, or can you recommend, a certified partner, that could help us develop / implement this on a consulting basis? Or does RIM offer such services?

Thanks

Andrew
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi Andrew,

You can take a look through the BlackBerry Solutions Catalog which lists BlackBerry Alliance Program members along with some profile information on the types of applications they specialize in:

http://blackberrysolutionscatalog.com/

One of these partners may have a solution similar to what you're after ort may be able to develop it for you.

RIM does not currently create applications for third-parties.\

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!