Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

New Contributor
dess_e
My Device: Torch 9800, Torch 9810, Curve 9360
My Carrier: Rogers

BES Server Test Environment

Hi there, 

I'm working on an app that requires push notifications that I need to deploy via a client's BES server. I'm sending PAP formatted messages by POST request to the BES server, as in the example on page 17 of this RIM documentation: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/12029/Push_applications_for_the_BlackBerry_Ent...

I have all the code ready but I have no way to test if it actually works, and I'd like to ensure a smooth deployment with our clients, so I'd rather not test this with the client's real BES server.

Is there any way for me to test the push notifications with a test BES server? The only option I've found so far is to use BES express, but that requires an Exchange server. I'm working on OS X and would rather avoid setting up a Windows environment, with an Exchange server and BES Express, just for testing. 

Any help is very much appreciated.

Cheers, 

Dessy

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BES Server Test Environment

Hi Dessy,

You could test using an entirely simulated environment, MDS-CS simulator to handle the transport of the push and a smartphone simulator to test receiving, but that again would require a Windows environment for testing as neither of these support MAC currently.

Something else to keep in mind, even if testing works smoothly there are many things which may cause issues in a customer environment. It would be a good idea to see if you could activate a device on their BES for testing purposes (some companies will allow this). A few things to consider:

1) Are you using a random port over 10,000? If not, it is more likely that it could be in use by another application.

2) Are you using application-level reliabilty? If so, has the BES been configured to use this port?

Regards,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dess_e

Hi Garett

Thanks very much for your quick response. For testing purposes, I'm thinking about run BES Express on an Amazon EC2 instance, since I don't have easy access to a Windows environment. Are you aware of any existing images out there with BES Express installed, or do you have any recommendations on how to properly do this manually?

Again, any help is very much appreciated. Hope you enjoyed your weekend!

Cheers, 

Dessy

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi Dessy,

For info on BES Express you would be best to post to the BES board:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Professional-Software/bd-p/bps_unite

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
dess_e

Great, thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.