Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

File Push

Hello,

I am looking into pushing a file to a select list of devices (they are on BES), and i need to automate this procedure. I am going over the BES documentation, however it doesn't seem possible. As a second option i am looking into the Push API to deliver a file. 

Could someone confirm that pushing files to target devices is not possible, or point me to a way to do it. 

The file is a text and/or image files to be deployed to end users. 

Thanks in advance

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: File Push

Push can be used to send any sort of data, so you could use it to deliver files. In BES 10 there is a limit of 8kb for push so you would need to implement a pull from the client for any docs bigger than 8kb.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer

Thanks for the response.

I would like to clarify two items though:

There is a Push SDK and then there is a BES SDK.

Do both of these have limits on the transfer of data that can be sent? I remember that there were different tiers for the Push SDK, so do all tiers have that limitation? Does it matter if the phone is accessed over BIS or BES to transfer data?

Or does a pull architecture need to be implemented for generic file transfer (average file around 1 MB).

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

The limit is imposed by the BES, not the SDK. With BES Push there are no tiers.

Consumer push is limited to 8kb on all tiers.

Pull would need to be implemented by you. For example, rather than pushing a file you could instead push a URL to the target application, the application could read the URL and download the referenced file.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer

Thanks for the clarification.