Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Fido
Accepted Solution

How to get our app to a client with BES (IT policy disallows downloading of applications)

Hi.

I'm in a bit of a bind here.

We launched our application about November of last year. It is available on App World and our clients have been downloading it just fine so far.

A client of ours sent us an email a few days ago asking how they could "push" our app to their employees via their Blackberry Enterprise Server. I've never worked with BES before and had no idea what they were talking about.

I asked them if their IT policy blocked employees from downloading applications from App World and unfortunately they said yes.

Now during our beta-testing phase I had our testers download the application from our server by linking to our .jad file. Could it be the same concep for BESt??

How would this client company "push" our app to their employees? Do I have to send them our COD files??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: How to get our app to a client with BES (IT policy disallows downloading of applications)

Hi there!

There are a few options that the company could use:

1) To actually push the application the customer would need the COD and ALX files (note, not the sibling COD files [ending in -#.cod] but the whole main COD files). They can index these on their BES and push them out to a subset of employees.

2) If the company is using BES 5.0.3 then they can actually enable App World and only allow certain applications to be accessible. This may be a better approach as it does not require the developer to provide the COD and ALX files, will allow the normal app upgrade path and will be much easier to maintain for both parties.

Cheers,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Super Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: How to get our app to a client with BES (IT policy disallows downloading of applications)

Thanks Garett for the reply,

They should be letting us know what version of BES they're running shortly.

I'm assuming that if we go the route where we have to give them our COD and ALX files, that any updates we make to our app will have to be passed on to them. This is not the way WE would like to do things, but if they're running a version of BES that doesn't allow what you mentioned then I guess we have no choice.

Thanks again.