Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

Contributor
yfujiki
My Device: BlackBerry 9630

RIM Push to the group does not succeed on the client server (successful in our environment)

Hello, 

I am having an urgent problem about RIM group push. 

I am sending a push message from my web server in the following format.

http://mds_server_address:8080/push?DESTINATION=$group_name&PORT=30600&REQUESTURI=/

It is exactly as documented, and works just fine in our environment. 

However, in the client environment, it returns HTTP 403 forbidden, and the error log says.

"Invalid group name $group_name".

The group with 'group_name' certainly exists in their BES, and the message has reached to the MDS (I checked with their BES admin). A little thing that caught me is that the MDS log prepends '$' (dollar sign) in front of the group name. 

It seems like the MDS is somehow trying to match the group name including the '$', which is wrong because '$' is just an indicator that says following string is a group name, not a PIN or an e-mail.

I am pretty sure this is something on the server side (MDS or BES or whatever), but I don't know how we can fix. Is there a configuration? It seems the BES administrator on the client side is not very familiar with the push stuff as well, so we cannot resort him on this matter.

# Nevertheless, we have to deliver ;(

As a side note, if I specify an existing PIN instead of group, the push request succeeds. So, everything else should be working fine.

Please help me! I googled around whole yesterday, but could not find anything relevant. 

Retired
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: RIM Push to the group does not succeed on the client server (successful in our environment)

Are you URL encoding (escaping) the '$' when pushing?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Push-Development/Push-content-to-multiple-BlackBer...

Could you provide some log lines from the BES MDAT log file when this push is received and rejected?

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor
yfujiki

Re: RIM Push to the group does not succeed on the client server (successful in our environment)

Thank you Garett,

I tried both raw '$' and '%24' (URL encoded), but same results. And if URL encoding is the problem, it should be a problem in our local environment as well, right?

I will request the log file from the client's admin. But meanwhile, this is the HTML error message I receive from the server.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta name="generator" content=
"HTML Tidy for Linux/x86 (vers 11 February 2007), see www.w3.org" />

<title>Apache Tomcat/6.0.28 - Error report</title>
<style type="text/css">
/*<![CDATA[*/
<!--H1 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:22px;} H2 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:16px;} H3 {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;font-size:14px;} BODY {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:black;background-color:white;} B {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;color:white;background-color:#525D76;} P {font-family:Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif;background:white;color:black;font-size:12px;}A {color : black;}A.name {color : black;}HR {color : #525D76;}-->
/*]]>*/
</style>
</head>

<body>
<h1>HTTP Status 403 - invalid group name: $group_name</h1>
<hr size="1" noshade="noshade" />

<p><b>type</b> Status report</p>

<p><b>message</b> <u>invalid group name: $group_name</u></p>

<p><b>description</b> <u>Access to the specified resource (invalid group name: $group_name)
has been forbidden.</u></p>
<hr size="1" noshade="noshade" />

<h3>Apache Tomcat/6.0.28</h3>
</body>
</html>

As you can see, it says "invalid group name: $group_name". I don't know which log file that the client admin checked (likely the BES MDAT log you refer), but he said he saw the same message in his log.

Thank you,

Yuichi

Retired
gbeukeboom

I just reproduced in BES 5.0.2. Let me investigate and see what I can find.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Retired
gbeukeboom

This appears to be a bug with the BES. Please feel free to log in Issue Tracker (linked in my signature) if you would like to track this issue. Post back the logged issue URL so I can pick it up.

Thanks,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor
yfujiki

Okay thanks...

I will check client's BES version as well and open the ticket.

Contributor
yfujiki

Okay, I opened a ticket for this.

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BESAPI-79

Since I could not find the version 5.0.2 in the list, I just chose 5.0. Hopefully, it will not create confusion.

Retired
gbeukeboom

Thanks! It has been linked with our internal tracking system :smileyhappy:

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Contributor
yfujiki

Thank you Garett,

For a work around plan, can you let me know if this problem is persistent in

- The latest service pack of 5.0.2

The client says it is ready to apply patch if it helps.

Yuichi

Retired
gbeukeboom

I tested in 5.0.3 and it still happens. For the majority of the time, Group push is not ideal as if 1 user does not receive the push then the entire push is classified as failed.

As a workaround, if the client were to upgrade to 5.0.3, you could implement some BWS logic to retrieve the list of PINs included in a specified Group then push individually to each of those PINs. This wouldn't be a trivial change but would let you move forward until this can be resolved:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Enterprise-Server/Getting-Started-with-BlackBerry-...

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!