Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry Web Services

Developer
simon_hain
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany
Accepted Solution

Read configuration value from BDS (BB10 Server)

On BES 5 and BB Java you could use a custom it policy to store configuration values and read them with ITPolicy.get...

For example:

http://www.blackberry.com/developers/docs/7.1.0api/net/rim/device/api/itpolicy/ITPolicy.html#getStri...

We use this mechanism to allow a customer to configure stuff that all users should have, like a server url.

Is there a similar mechanism on BB10?

I asked this on several RIM events already, but it seems to be too special a question to be answered (or even understood).

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Read configuration value from BDS (BB10 Server)

Not supported today but it is planned for a future release. No timeframe available right now though.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

I second the request.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

Is there any update to that?

We have customers that want to roll out our application to several hundred devices.
At the moment we don't have a way to configure the application, and creating a custom build for each bigger customer is not really a solution.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Georgechr
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: None

Yeah this is critical to us as well. Is there an update on this? Or should we start looking at alternatives?

Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

This would require a handheld OS change, so without it being on our public roadmap (which it is not currently) it would be at least a few months before an API comes out in Beta.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
simon_hain

unfortunately we have not been able to find a workaround so far.
email attachments are not directly accessible (they should, bug is already logged for some time), custom url schemes are not supported and we have no other idea so far.
i am currently seriously considering a second app that just invokes the first with the config, but for smaller customers it is still too much work.

currently we are in test drive only anyhow, but when 1.500 devices are supposed to get a configuration things will get difficult.
@SimonHain on twitter
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Could anyone requiring this functionality please PM me with your company name, use cases as well as the number of potential customers/users that would use this? I will do my best to work with the enterprise teams on getting this prioritized on the roadmap.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Georgechr
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: None

will do. In the meantime, is there an official guideline from BlackBerry on how to configure enterprise apps without having the user enter configuration details? Which is something that partially beats the purpose of using an MDM for diatributing enterprise apps (especially nowdays that there are other solutions available)
Please use plain text.
gbeukeboom

Georgechr wrote:
will do. In the meantime, is there an official guideline from BlackBerry on how to configure enterprise apps without having the user enter configuration details? Which is something that partially beats the purpose of using an MDM for diatributing enterprise apps (especially nowdays that there are other solutions available)

There's no such configuration available today, if there were then this would be much less of an issue. You are left either re-compiling for different environments and/or using a server to handle the configurations for the user.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.