Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

Re: $10,000 app guarantee?

[ Edited ]

smiley wrote:

One person can create multiple vendor accounts with "fake" company name and sumbit apps.  This way they can have x number of apps and will qualify to get x number of $10K per vendor account.

Very true, although the accounts need not be "fake".  You can always create a vendor for your wife, mother, father and so on. It is completely legal and would meet the rules of the programme.

It however defeats the purpose (if there is any') for one vendor - one payout restriction.

If it is so easy to defeat the restriction, why have it at all?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
phikachu

[ Edited ]

I don't like where this topic is headed about bending the rules.

My point is that I got really exciting about doing a lot of work on Blackberry 10 and got a good vibe from  attending Blackberry Jam. I even had an unexpected call from a RIM representative to ask if I was still interesting in the platform a few weeks ago. You wouldn't expect that building apps for apple devices or android. But it was all talk and they have obviously not followed through what they were promising after getting everyone excited.

I won't be investing time in Blackberry 10 and I've said what I wanted to say so I shall leave it at that. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

Keep in mind, there apps are not "fart apps". They have to have a level of sophistication to them and meet quality standards. So the effort to produce such an app will take some time. Additionally, the app has to be done within a few months and make $1000 in the first year. It will be hard to game the system. And I am certain they will have some kind of fraud prevention clause that will deny those who's sole effort is to buck the system.

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

phikachu wrote:

I don't see the problem myself. If they were confident with the quality certification program then they should never have to pay out. A single gurantee of $10,000 is not a big enough incentive for serious developers to invest their time. Especially for a new platform that might not even make it to the market and from a struggling company that won't be around as we know it over the course of the next year. 

IMO the root cause of such restrictions is the underlying belief that all developers are one person teams working part time on blackberry products. Unfortunately, this is not far from truth. For most developers, earnings from BB platform are not enough to sustain a living.

$10k is a good enough incentive for a person working part-time. It is surely a turn-off for people who want to do full time development.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

adwiv wrote:

Very true, although the accounts need not be "fake".  You can always create a vendor for your wife, mother, father and so on. It is completely legal and would meet the rules of the programme.

The Terms and Conditions are not actually posted yet, so I'd suggest everyone ignore this advice and stop thinking about trying to defraud RIM on this (which would likely not be "completely legal") See https://developer.blackberry.com/builtforblackberry/documentation/overview/10kterms.html

If you try writing multiple $1K crappy apps, I hope you get what you deserve, which is a bad rep, no money, and a lawsuit. Is this a good price to pay for nestling down amongst the dregs of humanity?

Instead, write multiple $10K awesome apps, and then you won't care about this offer anyway. You certainly won't need to waste time and stress yourself out trying to cheat. You'd also keep your self-respect...

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

jtegen wrote:
Keep in mind, there apps are "fart apps". They have to have a level of sophistication to them and meet quality standards. So the effort to produce such an app will take some time. Additionally, the app has to be done within a few months and make $1000 in the first year. It will be hard to game the system. And I am certain they will have some kind of fraud prevention clause that will deny those who's sole effort is to buck the system.

Ok. My company has a 100 people development team working full time. They can create 200 apps in the same time you will be able to create one if you are working alongwith a full time job.

(Just kidding about the numbers :smileywink: but you see how your thinking is tuned to the concept of a single-developer working part time per vendor.

It has almost never taken us more than one month to develop any app (And no, these were not fart apps).

The apps that we develop for BB10 (If we choose to) are not going to be completely new where we have to start thinking from the basic features. The existing apps that have undergone user testing will be converted to the new platform so it should not take as much time as it took for the first app development.

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

@Peter There are several of your assumptions that are incorrect.

1. We (devs who want RIM to remove the one app payout limitation) want to defraud RIM into paying us for our living.

We want RIM to consider that there are developers who work full time and companies who have more than one developer.

2. We want RIM to pay for crappy apps.

As pichaku said in an earlier post, if RIM believes in their own testing and certification programme; why they need to put this restriction in place?

3. If you build an awesome app it will be successful.

It might have been if the field was level and without competition, but this is not the case here. Apps that become eligible for the payout will be selectively promoted by appworld. And do you know what happens to your sales when a competing app is promoted on appworld?

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

I dont like the limit either. I will have some apps that wont qualify because they will make the 10K on their own. I have other apps that would benefit from the 10K bump. Of course, I would like the marginal apps to make $1K first to qualify, but that will probably not happen( vs the few that will make it there within a few weeks and will be considered first). With the offer that way it is, I will spend my time to polish the bigger apps to sustain long term growth then with the "smaller" (in terms of market size) that will not be considered for the offer. They will still come out, but probably not in time for the BB10 release.

The offer (as it is) will not increase the number of apps. But the apps that will be added will probably be better quality to pass the certification process (which is what RIM might be wanting).

Also, if you have an app that is brought in $1500 after 6 months, you bet RIM will feature that app a lot to offset their cost of payout.

I think, at the end, the cost to RIM will probably be very small since the app has to be of higher quality to be certified, has found some kind of market to at least earn $1K and get a lot of marketing push from App World.

If you are not certified and you have competition in your app's segment, dont expect much revenue in the first year.
Please use plain text.