Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
samyotte
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: ATTN RIM- Review System

Hi meanman,

valid feedback that I'll make sure is escalated to App world product management.
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
meanman
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2

Hello & thanks - I'm glad you there are people monitoring these threads and listening - there's valid feedback from many people on here, basically if a lot of the issues on here are sorted then the BlackBerry 10 stuff will benefit from this too (assuming it's using App World).

Another thing is if you give a chance for users to change their reviews, or devs to reply to reviews, you will be the first major app store with such a feature, and it will go along way towards the platform's success.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Not everyone is going to love your app. Negative reviews are going to happen. Most people are not going to contact support (especially for a free app). There is little to nothing that RIM can do about this. If the review is unfair or misleading, I would suggest just denying the review and moving on.

Personally, I have not seen too much of a correlation between reviews and sales but other may have different results.

The one feature I would like to see in AppWorld is the ability to view beyond the top 25 apps in the free and paid rankings. When I first showed my dad AppWorld on the PlayBook, once of his questions was how to view the next 25 apps. Making it easier to casually browse through a larger listing of apps would give users a better chance of finding an app that appeals to them.

Just my thoughts...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
meanman
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2

I agree not everyone is going to love the app, this is true of any product sold, not just apps. There is however a direct correlation between sales and a bad review for newer apps or apps that don't have many reviews. I've seen this directly in action where a zero star review brings down the downloads to almost zero. The denial process takes too long on the vendor portal. This is why a chance to reply and to later allow the user to modify their rating will improve things - no app store does this right anyway, but Amazon do for their products.

Apps, however which have hundreds or thousands of generally good reviews don't suffer from this issue.

Most people are not going to contact support (especially for a free app). There is little to nothing that RIM can do about this.

Disagree. There is a simple fix for this: when the user goes to review an app, under the "Add a Review..." button, instead of showing other reviews, simply add a label such as: "If you are experiencing issues or require support for this product, please contact the vendor.", and a button like "Contact Vendor". Problem solved. There will probably still be one or two that will slip through though :smileywink:

There is already a "Provide Feedback" button tucked away at the bottom of each product page, but involves users scrolling down to discover it. Most users wont have any idea it's there and you can't expect them to.

+1 for the ability to see more than the top 25, though on my Torch if I scroll down further it loads more items, albeit slowly and a few items (appears to be a random number of items) at a time.

Please use plain text.