Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Virgin Mobile

About to submit, confused about signing keys, cod files, and bundles

So, getting signing keys required me to fill out a form separate from the vendor account that I have. How are the keys associated with my account? I just want to make sure I'm not signing my app with wrong keys.

Cod files. I built and signed myapp.cod. But when I upload the .cod manually (not using the .zip because I have no clue what that is) it uploads around 21 files like myapp-1.cod, myapp-2.cod etc... is that normal? Why does this happen?

Bundles. I'm creating the bundles manually in the vendor web app. The point of bundles is to have separate builds for different os versions and devices correct? If I have a bundle for 5.0 minimum and bold 9700, and another bundle for 6.0 minimum and 9700, will that mean build one will be available for 9700 5.0 and build two for 9700 6.0 and up?

I want to make sure I'm understanding the bundles concept.

Thanks.

Last thing, I hear it can take weeks to get an app approved. Is it possible to call rim to get things moving faster? I know apple does that sort of thing....

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: About to submit, confused about signing keys, cod files, and bundles

> it uploads around 21 files like myapp-1.cod, myapp-2.cod etc... is that normal? Why does this happen?

The original COD file consist of several small sibling files with size around 64 KB. It is how the BB OS works, nothing to worry about. When you upload your original COD file the AppWorld backend extract the sibling files.

Bundles represent a combination of devices and OS version. For example you can target the same OS, but you may need different versions of your app for different devices because of screen resolution. Or you can target the same device, but different OS versions offers different functonality, so you may need to release one version for OS 6.0 (with more functions) and another for OS5.0.

How AppWolrd works with bundles? It will serve the highest possible bundle based on user phone model and OS. In your example if the user has 9700 and OS6.0 he/she will receive the bundle for OS6.0 and 9700, although there is a bundle for OS5.0 as well.

> Last thing, I hear it can take weeks to get an app approved. Is it possible to call rim to get things moving faster?

It is actually about 8-10 business days, often it goes faster, right now there could be a delay because of enormous number of app submissions (free PlayBook offer). If you find a phone number you can call to speed the approval process, please share it with us Smiley Wink

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry